Chapter 43

"Don't put your greasy hands on the letter." Tiff handed a napkin to Nicole. "You're going to get pizza sauce on it."

Nicole wiped her hands. "Relax, it's not like grease voids the words or anything."

"Look," Lauren ran her finger across the page. Not the girl you think she is. "Both letters have that same sentence. It's not an uncommon phrase but it could have been written a hundred different ways and they both have the same accusations of drinking, partying, sex and drugs."

"It makes me sound like a rock star!" I called out from the kitchen after returning my mom's second page in two hours.

"She even called herself a "concerned mother" in both letters." Lauren wrinkled her nose. "All she did was change Lindsey to Jenny. Courtney is smart but not creative."

Lily grabbed another slice of pizza. "She probably assumed it worked so well the first time, why change it."

The doorbell rang and Tiff jumped up. "Paul and I are talking again. Maybe he's come to surprise me."

Thirty seconds later Tiff ran back to the dining room. "Surprise Snoop Crew meeting!

Ben followed behind her. I ran to him and he nuzzled his head into my neck.

"That bad?" I asked.

He pressed me tighter.

Nicole pushed the pizza box to Ben when we took our seats. "Help yourself."

"Our encounter did not go well." He collapsed into the chair. "She denied everything, blames Jenny for our breakup, and assumed I invited her out to get back together." He took a bite. "And I think I made things worse. I may have added more fuel to the fire."

We all stared at him waiting for him to continue.

"I told her I'm in love with Jenny."

I could not contain my smile.

Lily slid her chair closer. "What did she look like when you said you loved Jenny?"

Ben's voice went soft. "Like I slapped her across the face."

"Damn, I wish I could have been there."

"Lily," Lauren mumbled.

"Oh please! You all are thinking the same thing."

We didn't disagree with her.

"We have good news, Ben," Tiff announced. "We found Kimberly and have a copy of her letter and a statement from her."

"How is she doing?"

"She could be better. Her parents never got past the letter so her life is very sheltered but she's optimistic for her future."

"And we promised her we'll try our best to prove her innocence too," I added. "She's a victim of Courtney. We want to help her."

Ben wrapped his arm around me. "What's the next plan since this one went so spectacularly wrong?"

"I hand the letters to Ms. Deskin on Monday to see if that gets us anywhere."

After we finished eating, I walked Ben to the front door. I didn't want him to leave but he had to be gone before Mr. And Mrs. Watson returned from their dinner.

I snuggled into his arms. "Let's stay like this, if only for a moment."

"I don't know how to keep you safe," he whispered.

"Stay close to me. That's all I need."