Chapter 10

I was utterly confused. No matter how many teen magazines I'd read with headings stamped in bold, bright pink with words like Make Him Notice You or How Boys Think, I was no closer to understanding why Mark hadn't called.

Did the ink rub off his hand before he memorized my number? Did I do or say something that made him change his mind about me between then and now?

The only thing I knew for sure was that it bothered me that he hadn't called.

Mark wasn't in the cafeteria. He used to sit a few tables down from Ben's group with some of the baseball team- same circle, different groups, but he was never in the cafeteria during lunch anymore.

Lauren finished her pint of chocolate milk. "Maybe he got sick last night and couldn't call you."

I pulled off the crust from my bread. "It's possible."

Lily smiled at Marcus who was sitting at Ben's table. "Do you want me to ask Marcus if he's heard anything?"

I shook my head.

Unlike Mark, Marcus had called Lily twice since the party and scheduled a date for Saturday. We were all meeting at her house to help her get ready.

"No matter what happens, you at least tried. It's better than not knowing," Nicole said.

It was an odd feeling. I wasn't even sure if I liked Mark but his rejection or the not-knowing was eating at me. Mark had wedged his way into my thoughts and had provided a much-needed distraction from Ben.

#

The caller ID displayed a local number but it wasn't any I recognized. It was probably someone trying to sell me a long-distance plan but when that number popped up, I held my breath hoping it was Mark.

"Hello."

"Jenny? Hey it's Mark."

All the worrying, questioning, and doubts dissipated with those four little words.

"I meant to call you last night but I forgot my sister had a ballet recital that I had to go to. Sorry about that."

"It's cool," I said trying to sound nonchalant and failing miserably. "I didn't see you at school today so I'm glad you're not sick or anything."

"Yeah, everything is good. I bet you thought I smudged your phone number or something," he joked.

"The thought crossed my mind."

"Friday night is normally game night but since it's an away game on the other side of town, I thought if you weren't busy, you and I could hang out."

I wondered if he could sense my smile through the phone line. "I'd like that."

"Great. I'll pick you up at seven."

We hung up but I didn't let go of the phone. I three-way called the girls and we agreed to meet at my house Friday after my tutor session to help me get ready. From the window seat in my bedroom everything across the street looked exactly as it always had, but inside I knew something was changing- had changed. My first real date was only three days away and all because I had stepped out of my comfort zone. My life had veered into a whole new direction.

#

I penciled in the last bubble on the test then dropped it at Ms. Kerry's desk.

She glanced over my answers. "You're free to go."

Twenty-two minutes remained in the period so I packed my bag and headed towards the library. Cody and I would be meeting there in a few hours for our next tutoring session so I decided it'd be good to spend my extra time preparing for him. I also knew it'd be more likely I'd be planning out possible outfits for my first date with Mark instead.