Chapter 19

I spent way too much time the following afternoon getting ready for my study session with Ben. I added a few waves to my hair to make it look stylish but not overdone and used lip gloss instead of lip stick for the same reason. Nicole dropped by for ten minutes to help me decide between my blue sleeveless top with jean shorts or my burgundy and white button-down sundress with butterfly sleeves.

I balanced the hangars in each hand. "Which one?"

"The dress." Nicole sat crisscrossed on the window seat in my room. "Definitely the dress."

"You don't think I'll look like I put in too much effort?"

"It's a cotton dress, not a ball gown, and it hits you right at the perfect spot above your knee where it shows some leg but not too much."

I bit my lip. I wanted to wear the dress since it made me feel more confident and pretty than just a blue shirt and shorts but I didn't want to freak Ben out with him thinking that I thought this meet up was something it wasn't.

Nicole saw my hesitation. "It's going to be humid tonight. You'll get way more air circulation in that dress than the shorts and you'll probably sweat less."

She sold me with that. I did not want to sit across from Ben sweating under my clothes. He already heats up every part of me just by being close to him.

I changed into the dress and checked myself in the mirror. "What if he doesn't show?"

"He will. This was his idea."

I grabbed my Keds from the closet. "But what if he forgot and made other plans?"

"If he doesn't show then he's a huge jerk and you should never give him another thought."

The scuff marks on my white canvas shoes suddenly seemed very noticeable. "If only it were that easy."

"If he doesn't show, get your drink to go, ride home, then come to my house when I get back from dinner with my family."

I tucked in next to her on the window seat. "Are you going to tell your parents about Tiffany?"

She shook her head. "Nah, you were right. It's her secret to tell." A little smile inched across her mouth. "But it would have been funny if I blurted it out when the waiter served the warm rolls like "Hey mom, dad, did you hear that Tiffany dropped out of school?", she teased. "But I won't."

I laughed. "I think that's for the best."

"And she'll owe me big so I've got that going for me." She hopped off the window seat and gave me a hug. "You look great. It'll be great. He's going to show and it'll be awesome."

"Do you think it's too soon to hang out alone with another guy since everything went to hell with Mark?"

"Do you feel safe alone with Ben?"

"Safer with him than by myself."

"Mark ruined one night for you. That's all you should allow him to have. Don't let him take anything else from you," she told me. "Besides, Ben has proven himself to be a good guy."

"You always know the right thing to say."

She lifted her chin. "I know. It's a gift."

"Thanks for coming by."

"I definitely had to come! This is a big deal."

My eyes got huge.

"I mean it's not a big deal," she smiled. "It's nothing important...just your first time alone with the boy of your dreams."

"You're the worst," I joked.

"I'm the best. It's why you love me."

She walked herself out but before she closed the door she reminded me, "Don't forget your textbook."