Chapter 13

I knotted my hand around the seat belt and practiced the phrase in my head before I spoke. "Ben, please turn left at the next light."

Those were the first words I had said to him in the thirty minutes since we'd pulled away from the pit. He had said nothing. His headlights lit up the street ahead and my unbelievable task of directing Ben Avery to my house still felt unreal.

I stared ahead but really, I wanted to thank him for leaving the party and driving us home, to thank him for not being the jerk I painted him out to be, and to apologize for assuming he ever was. Instead, I reached back and rubbed Lily's arm. She was laid out on the narrow back seat with her knees tucked into her chest. Her shoes slid to the right as Ben took the turn.

"I'm fine," she mumbled. "I just need to sleep. The breeze feels good."

It did feel good.

With the windows down and the top cover pulled back it was almost like the wind was blowing away the alcohol with each passing mile. I slouched back into the passenger seat but noticed Ben glance at Lily through his rear mirror.

"She'll be okay."

He spoke.

I sat up. "Does this happen often?"

He shrugged. "Every few parties someone has too much to drink or hasn't learned their limit yet."

He shifted down on the gear stick and I had to avert my eyes from staring at his forearm. I watched this dance each time he shifted, worried that he'd catch me.

"You know what they say," he began. "Beer before liquor, never been sicker."

I had never heard that saying but I nodded like it was familiar. "You don't think she needs to go to the hospital or anything?"

Ben slowed down at the stop sign. "If I did, we'd be heading there now."

His words eased my mind. "Take a right on Kaley Street. It's the fifth house on the right."

"You really surprised me back there," he said though his eyes never met mine.

"What do you mean?" I asked, happy that I had permission to look at his beautiful face.

"The way you tried to shield Lily from people seeing her sick."

"I didn't want her to be embarrassed."

He nodded. "I understand. I'm just saying that not all friends are so considerate."

Ben parked in the street outside my house and motioned for Lauren to pull into the driveway with Lily's car.

I lightly shook Lily's arm. "We're home. You can get into bed now."

She groaned. "I'm too dizzy to walk."

Ben undid his seat belt then walked to the side of his car where Lily was laying. "Just lean out the side and I'll carry you, okay?"

"Okay," she mumbled.

Lily put her arms around Ben's neck and he lifted her off the seat and out of the Jeep.

"I'll carry her in," he told me.

Cody, Nicole and Lauren were waiting for us at my front door. I was never more relieved for my mom to be on travel. I walked towards them while Ben carried Lily across his chest.

"Is she okay?" they asked when we all entered the house.

I opened my mouth but Ben got the words out first. "Yeah, she just needs some sleep, water and aspirin."

"I'm fine everyone," Lily croaked out.

"Where will she be sleeping?" Ben asked.

"My room," I pointed to the stairs. "But it's up there."

"That's not a problem."

I pulled back my pink comforter, suddenly self-conscious about the color. "You can put her in my bed."

He placed her down and she immediately rolled over and closed her eyes. We left her in there with the door open and went downstairs.

"We're going to head back now," Cody said as he and Ben made their way to the front door.

"Thank you both for your help tonight," I told them.

Before I closed the front door behind them Ben turned around. "I know you're worried about Lily but I promise she'll be fine in the morning, Jenny."

He'd never said my name before. I didn't even know he knew my name but he was gone before I could respond.

My bedroom was quiet except for the light snore coming from Lily. I slipped into the sleeping bag and searched for sleep but it eluded me. My mind kept repeating everything that happened tonight.

How could so much bad mix with so much good happen in one night?