Chapter 26

The next few weeks passed by in a blur. I still saw the girls every day at school and most Friday nights, but Saturdays were always spent with Ben. Lauren had ditched our group a few times to get serious about practicing for her solo competition and she spent a lot of those practice sessions with Brandon. He became a sort of unofficial coach for her. Lily spent all her extra time with Marcus and Nicole was keeping busy with Tiffany. It seemed like they were trying to make up for all the years they missed as sisters.

No one ever talked about attending any parties. They were still happening on most weekends but we avoided them. I was also avoiding being anywhere near Courtney. It was well known at school that Ben and I were spending time together and I wanted to stay far away from her. The few times she did look at me sent chills down my spine. We were definitely not friends anymore (if we ever really were). Ben, Marcus and sometimes Cody joined us at our lunch table but most days us girls wanted our group to stay as a foursome. When the guys were away, I'd sneak glances at their table. Courtney was still a part of their group but her and Ben sat on opposite sides.

Ben slid a note into my locker on Thursday between class. "Only a few weeks of warm weather left before winter kicks in. Beach on Saturday? B."

I wrote back "Would love to. P.S. Your butt looks amazing in those jeans. J," on a neatly folded paper that I dropped into his locker. Passing notes back and forth had become our little game and it all started when he left a photograph of the underbelly of a plane with a note written on the back. "One of Peter's. I think of you when I look at it. B." I taped it over the little mirror in my locker since I no longer had to watch Ben through it. He wasn't just a reflection anymore.

It was an odd feeling passing notes back and forth because it made me think of Courtney. For the short time her and I went to middle school together, we used to leave each other notes in our locker since we never shared a class together. Her and I were so far from where we were back then and I had to take some of the blame for that.

#

The white autumn sun beamed down through the Jeep's open roof and the smell of sea water tickled my nose. I thought back to the memory of an earlier fantasy. I unclipped my hair to let the wind toss it around and peeked down at the yellow sundress I wore wishing it were the white one I had earlier imagined.

I turned to Ben. "This may be a silly question but can I stick my legs out the window?"

Ben smiled and kissed my hand. "Whatever makes you happy."

I wanted to tell him that I envisioned this moment. A fairy god mother or a penny thrown down a wishing well- something I couldn't explain had brought us here and I would be forever grateful. I knew it wasn't logical or true but there was no other way to explain how magical my life had become in a few short months. I didn't deserve this much happiness.

Ben ripped off his tank top and crumbled it into a ball on the beach towel. The movement was so quick that I didn't realize I was openly staring at his broad shoulders and muscular chest until he handed me a bottle of water. I stepped out of my sundress while he laid out the cooler. I suddenly felt very self-conscious. I had never been more naked with a boy.

We dived into the ocean and swam to a spot away from the boogie boards and floats. His dark hair was slicked back from the water and the sun reflected off his olive skin. I couldn't wait any longer so I put my lips on his until a wave rolled over us.

He stopped me before my lips found his again. "Will you be my girlfriend?"

I couldn't speak. I was already head over heels for him and considered him my boyfriend but "girlfriend" had never officially been established. I didn't know if the goosebumps were from the cool water or his question, but my body tingled all over.

"Yes," was all I could say.

He lifted me up out of the water and I wrapped my legs around his waist. His skin rubbed against mine and touched me in places no one had before. The tingles intensified.

My hair was still dripping sea water when I stretched out on the sheet unfolded over the beige sand. "I have a bit of a confession," I told him.

He propped himself onto his elbow and leaned in closer. "Oh?"

"It's nothing really but...it's been weighing on me that I should tell you."

"I'm listening."

I took a deep breath. "I chose Cody as my tutor partner in hopes that it would somehow get me a chance to talk to you." I stared into the cloudless sky through my sunglasses fearful of his reaction.

His lips caressed my neck. "I too have a confession then."

My body tensed.

"I knew who you were before you ever walked into Cody's house. There was something else inside my locker besides that plane photo and I strongly suspect it's the reason Courtney never wanted you and I to talk alone."

My mind was hazy from his kisses. "What is it?"

"The article of you in last year's school paper. The one where you carried that girl over the finish line with you."

My head jerked up. "Why would you have that or even care about it?"

"I thought it was sweet and I don't know...different than what I was used to. You looked beautiful in the picture."

"Are we talking about the same picture? Because the one I saw had blood dripping from my shin and my ponytail had fallen out. I looked like I had been pushed out of a moving truck."

He laughed. "It's the same picture. There was something captivating about it...like the photo had life to it."

"That was Lily's talent shining through. She took that photo and when Alex saw it, he begged her to let him use it in his article."

"I didn't know," he said, his mouth still only inches from mine. "That photo made me read the article which is how I learned who you were. Weeks later Courtney asked me once why the article was still in my locker and I told her I liked the sentiment of it. She told me to get rid of it but I ignored her. Then one day she reached inside, tore it up, and I never looked at her the same."

I shook my head. "I had no idea."

"Alex did a nice write up on you." Ben dusted the sand off the towel. "I always wanted to ask; how did Coach Hall react to you costing the team a medal at regionals?"

"I apologized profusely while he wrapped my ankle but he kind of grunted, then said, "They'll be more medals. You're a good egg, Jenny."

"A good egg? I think that's the nicest compliment Coach has ever given."

"Guess I owe Coach an extra medal this year."

He smiled and leaned down to kiss me. "One more dip in the ocean before the sun gets too low?"

I pressed his lips to mine. "I'll race you in."