Chapter 27

"First things first. You're going to want to wear shorts like these." Wendy tugged on her orange spandex shorts until they snapped back into place. "You don't want anything to get stuck when you're flying over the crossbar."

I glanced down at the lose running shorts leftover from last year's track season. "Good point."

"I've got an extra pair in my locker you can borrow next time."

Wendy and I huddled near the edge of the large blue and white mat spread across the track field. Two days earlier I stopped her in the locker room after track practice and begged her to teach me how to pole vault. "I want to be good enough to compete on the J.V. team and since you're on Varsity, there's no one better to learn from."

In exchange, I offered to tutor her in any subject of her choice.

"Even Trig?" she asked.

"Even Trig."

After pleading with Coach Hall, he finally agreed to let Wendy show me the basics of pole vaulting before practice began but he made me promise that under no circumstances am I to attempt anything without his supervision. I gave him my word- my feet would not leave the ground.

Wendy picked up the white carbon pole near her right foot. "The best description I could give for pole vaulting is that it's simple but not easy. Run fast, plant the pole into the box, jump up and swing vertical with your feet pointing to the sky, clear the pole, turn, then land. The whole thing takes about three seconds. That's it."

I bit my lip. "That doesn't sound simple."

She smiled. "Do it long enough and it'll become muscle memory."

Wendy carried the pole in her hands to the edge of the small runway laid out in front of the mat. "I'll show you how to hold the pole." She positioned my hands on the pole. "This hand will be palm up. Now you'll want to hold the pole at about 75 degrees."

I lifted the pole.

"Today we're just going to get you used to handling the pole." She adjusted the angle of the pole in my hands. "Try walking down the runway with it and if you get comfortable, try running. You'll want to keep your knees up when you run."

"Like doing a low hurdle?" I asked.

"Yes, very similar."

I ran down the runway dozens of times. "Knees up!" I'd hear or "Your pole is too far back or too far forward" but I kept running until sweat dripped down my face and I couldn't lift my arms above my head. In between breaths I'd look to Coach Hall who was checking on us while he set up for track practice. I kept on with Wendy's drills until we heard Coach's whistle.

I set the pole down and dropped onto the mat. "This is harder than I expected-," I said between hurried breaths "and now relay practice starts. My runs will take a beating today."

Wendy held out her hand to help me up. "You did good."

"I'll be back tomorrow if you're willing to stick with me."

#

Wendy met me early for practice the next day. She'd vault over the bar then explain the technique, each time having me concentrate on one part of the process.

"You want to try?" Coach hall's voice yelled out as he walked towards us.

My palms began to sweat and a knot tied in my stomach.

Was I ready for this?

I thought back to the moment I wrote my name next to Cody's four months ago and how much my life had changed. "Yes, I'm ready."

Coach motioned for Wendy to hand me the pole. "Plant the pole into the box and use the pole to lift you up. If anything goes wrong, the mat will be there to catch you."

They removed the bar so I didn't have to worry about leaping over any barrier. My only goal was to get my body off the ground and onto the mat. Everything else would come with time.

"Go when you're ready!" Coach called out.

I stood alone on the runway. After a few breaths to pump myself up, I leaned back on my heels and before realizing I had made the decision, I planted the pole into the box, lifted my body up to the sky, then let the mat catch me. My fear of pole vaulting subsided and a huge smile crawled across my face as I got to my feet.

"Good," Coach encouraged. "Do that a hundred more times and we'll add in the bar."

The next day Coach Hall added me to the pole-vaulting team. "You'll be a substitute for now while you're still learning but if you want, pole vaulting can be your main event in time."

"Thank you! Thank you!" I told him.

He brushed it aside but I saw the hint of a smile.