Chapter 51

My grounding was officially over and the pager had returned from where it came but I was still on a short leash with my mom. She was traveling even more now but her hard work was paying off with the new car parked in the driveway. I was promised the old car at "some arbitrary time when I decide it's right", she told me.

I didn't argue, or haggle, or do anything to drive the old car. I knew I didn't deserve it since I was still lying to her about Ben but it didn't feel like a sacrifice to me. I would always choose Ben without a second thought.

"What are you plans for this weekend?" she asked while packing her new suitcases to go along with her new car. Her hair was tied into a bun and loose strands fell around her face.

"We're hanging out at Nicole's on Friday, maybe getting some ice cream at the mall, then going to the school basketball game Saturday night."

She sat next to me on the edge of her bed. "I'm sorry I'll miss your meet on Saturday. I know this is an important one."

It was. If I placed first on Saturday, I'd secure a spot to complete at regionals.

"It's fine mom...really," I said. "I know you're working hard for the both of us and I support you."

"If it helps, I'll let you drive my old car this weekend if you'd like. You can take the girls to the mall or wherever you want." She gave me a hug. "I promise I'll make your next meet."

"They'll only be a next one if I place."

"And I have every confidence that you will."

#

The girls, including the new edition of Tiff, waited until Nicole's parents left the house before we changed into our outfits. Tiff tied up her long, blonde hair and tucked it under the brown bob wig while the rest of us threw on long-sleeved black shirts and black pants. We looked like we were planning to rob a bank.

"Do I have to wear the glasses?" Tiffany asked as she squinted in the mirror.

"Yes!" we all said in unison.

Lily straightened out Tiff's wig. "You look too much like yourself without them."

"I doubt she's going to remember me. I barely remember her."

"You were homecoming queen and your picture was all over the yearbook. She may recognize you without the glasses so you have to wear them."

I grabbed a black sweatshirt that my mom lounges around the house in on the few cold days in winter from my bag.

"Put this on." I dropped in into Tiff's lap.

She held it on front of her. "I'm not wearing this. It's got a hole in it and what look like toothpaste stains all over the front."

"It's not a beauty pageant. You're going undercover and this should make you look bigger than you actually are. If she recognizes you, this whole thing falls apart."

"Fine," she mumbled and slipped the sweater over her head.

Nicole laughed. "Stand up and let us see you."

Tiff twirled around in a mocking manner. "Do I look like a drug dealer?"

"I don't know what a drug dealer is supposed to look like but you certainly don't look like Tiffany Watson, homecoming queen class of 1995."

"Tiff, can you disguise your voice?" Lauren asked. "It may help."

"Like talk with an accent or something?"

Lauren nodded. "Sure, any accent should work."

"I've only ever tried to copy my mom's voice but I'll give it a shot." Tiff cleared her throat. "Hi Matey."