Chapter 45

Alex tapped me on the shoulder during first period when Ms. Kerry had her back turned. "I'd like to show you something after class," his voice barely above a whisper. "In private."

I followed Alex to his locker which was the opposite way to mine. I had to skip picking up my textbook for AP Chem but it was still an improvement from last week where I spent second period crying on the bathroom floor. When the hallway was loud enough to drown out our conversation, he handed me what looked like a book report.

"I submitted it for publication and it'll run tomorrow."

I read the title and byline. Jenny Bloom one year later: First disqualified for helping, now disqualified for being framed?

He fiddled with the frayed corner of his textbook. "I can pull it back though if you don't want the school to read it."

"What does it say?"

"It's my journalistic take on everything that happened last week. I tied it to back to my original piece on you as sort of a companion and commentary to last year's article. I made the case that the person who runs track, tutors for scholarship hours, and takes AP classes to boost her college application wouldn't be stupid enough to sell drugs, especially out of her own locker on school campus. It doesn't make sense and is completely counter to the same person who sacrificed her own glory and first track medal last year to help a cheater instead." He pointed at the bottom paragraph. "There's also a request for anyone who has any information about the accusation to submit it directly to me. They can sign it or send it anonymously." He shrugged. "Let's be honest...the true facts don't support the accusations against you."

I pressed my hand to my chest. "Alex, I'm truly touched."

He smiled at the ground. "It's not much but it's the only thing I could think of to help you."

"It is much," I replied. "More than I deserve."

"Would you like to read it before we run it in tomorrow's paper?"

I handed the papers back to him. "I trust you."

"Keep it," he said. "That's your copy."

I stuffed the report into my bag's front pocket. "I have a meeting with Ms. Deskin during lunch so I'm hopeful this will all be resolved this afternoon. You may want to remove that part about submitting information to support my case," I smiled. "I won't need it."

"That's great news! I'll let my editor know after lunch."

The bell rang.

"I gotta go or I'll be late." I took a few steps back. "Thanks again, Alex."

#

I tossed the evidence on Ms. Deskin's desk. "I know how she did it."

She set down her coffee cup. "You found proof?"

"It's all there." I gestured at the papers stacked in her hand. "A statement from me explaining how Courtney was able to enter my locker, an account from Kimberly Katz, and a comparison of the letters we both received from Courtney."

"What does Kimberly Katz have to do with this?"

"Courtney sent an almost identical letter to Kimberly's parents last year and she was forced to transfer schools because of the lies."

Neither of us spoke while Ms. Deskin read the letters. "It's obvious that the same person sent both of these letters," she admitted. "There are too many similarities."

"I know!" I burst out, relieved Ms. Deskin could see the truth. "Should I take them to Principal Morris now?"

"Have a seat, Jenny."

My knees wouldn't stop bouncing and the zippers on my backpack repeatedly knocked against each other. I tossed my bag to the ground.

Ms. Deskin tucked the papers into a manila envelope. 'I will take these to Principal Morris and discuss these findings with him. There is a lot of good information here but-"

I sighed.

There was always a but.

She folded her hands in front of her. "There's nothing in these letters that prove Courtney sent them and there's nothing that proves she placed the drugs in your locker."

"We shared a locker, Ms. Deskin." I pointed at the papers as if she somehow missed that part. "She knew my old combo."

"Are you sure she'd remember your combination years later?"

My jaw clenched. "Courtney has a great memory and she's extremely vindictive. She'd make a great super villain."

"Jenny, we'd have a lawsuit on our hands if we tried to punish Courtney based only on this."

"Fine, don't punish Courtney! But this should at least prove a conspiracy against me. This should be enough to prove my innocence." I tried to walk back the tone of my voice but I knew where this was conversation was going...nowhere. "Don't you agree it's too much of a coincidence for both Kimberly and I to receive the same letter"

'Yes, I do agree but-"

Another but. Just admit I'm screwed, no matter what I do.

"The drugs in your locker is a serious offense. Convincing Principal Morris to agree to a suspension instead of an expulsion was a struggle." She came around the desk and sat in the chair next to me. "I promise to show this to him and I will fight for you, but you should be prepared for an unfavorable outcome."

I nodded my head but I couldn't meet her eyes. There was nothing left to say. I had no smoking gun or arrows left in my quiver. The suspension was inevitable.

"Will I get to stay on the track team?"

"We'll see," she said and I could see genuine sympathy in her eyes. "Jenny, you'll get through this. You still have a bright future ahead of you."

I grabbed my bad and swallowed the lump in my throat. "Those are nice words Ms. Deskin, but they don't fix anything."

#

I checked my watch. Six minutes remained. If I didn't catch him at lunch, I wouldn't find him until school was over and it would be too late.

I ran through the cafeteria to the back corner where Alex and his friends sat.

"Where's Alex?" I asked through hurried breaths. It wasn't the running, but the running out of time, that was making my breath shaky.

Nadir pointed to the vending machines.

"Thank you," I wheezed.

Alex stopped sliding quarters into the machine when he saw my face. "Is everything okay?"

I shook my head. "Run it...please." I paused to bite back the frustration of my conversation with Ms. Deskin- a frustration that would soon manifest itself as tears down my face if I wasn't careful.

No more tears.

"And leave in the part about requests for information. I'm out of options so maybe one of her friends will come forward or some other miracle will fall from the sky."