Chapter 8

Lauren flipped the notebook paper back and forth. "Where did you get these directions?"

"Marcus wrote them down for me," Lily said as she made her second U-turn.

"But there's no street names and it says to turn right on the corner of 7-11." Lauren tried to make sense of the crude map drawn on the torn-out page. "There's a Texaco but no 7-11."

"He couldn't remember all the street names."

"Cody's house is on Oak Hill Lane. I think it's one more street down," I added from the back seat.

Nicole poked through the center console. "If we had stayed with the other cars we would be there by now but old lady Lily drives so slow."

"Driving at night is scary!" Lily exclaimed.

Nicole smirked. "Lily, the first day you got this car you nearly hit Jenny and I in the driveway."

"It's different driving during at night. What if a bobcat jumped in front of the car and we crashed? We'd lose our only form of permanent transportation." Lily lifted her chin. "You should be thanking me for driving slow."

"A bobcat?" we all asked in unison.

She shrugged. "It could happen."

We were still laughing three minutes later when we pulled onto Cody's street.

Lauren gasped. "It looks like a parade."

Cars lined both sides of the street with some parked in the grass. Cody's house, an older ranch-style home with plenty of space separating him from his neighbor, made it perfect for a house party.

Lily flipped the visor down to check her reflection in the mirror. "How do I look?"

"You look great," I replied but my attention was on Cody's front door. From the back passenger window, I watched as people wandered in and out of the front door. Each time the door opened the music seeped out but was muffled again when the door shut. Judging by the cars parked on the street, anyone who was anyone was there.

"I feel sick," Lauren said.

Nicole readjusted her bra. "It's going to be great."

Lily agreed. "Once you're inside and you've got a drink in you, your nerves will go away."

Lauren slouched in her seat. "Are we really drinking?"

"You don't have to drink," I assured her. "It would be better if you didn't so we have a designated driver."

Lily shot me a look. "She'll look ridiculous."

"It's fine," I told her. "No one will be paying attention. She can just hold the drink and pretend to take a sip every once in a while. It's better for you anyway since you won't have to sober up."

"Good point. Lily dropped her keys into Lauren's hand. "These are yours tonight."

My stomach twisted tighter with each step closer to Cody's front door.

"Do we knock?" Nicole whispered.

I shook my head. "No one else did so I'm going with no."

Lily entered like she owned the place and the three of us followed behind. I didn't know what to expect but what I saw still surprised me. No one noticed us. The lights were on and there were people laid out on every sofa and chair. I imagined a dimly lit house with loud music like a night club in the movies, but it was bright and you could hear the person next to you over the music.

We stepped out of the front doorway and stood near the wall. I looked around the room for a familiar face. Many of the faces were familiar but it was a one-sided recognition. The place was full of Seniors and Juniors and a few sophomores that played Varsity sports. I didn't recognize anyone else who I'd call a friend except the three girls holding up the wall with me.