Chapter 11

"Definitely the black and white one." Lauren held the skirt up against my waist and Nicole pulled a red blouse from its hanger. "With this top."

I slipped the top over my head. "Lily, are you sure you don't mind me wearing your skirt?"

"Of course not! You wore your cutest outfit last week to the party." She brushed through every hanger in my closet, her head shaking at each item she passed. "We need to get you some more clothes. After we donated all of your old flannel you barely have anything left."

My mom appeared at my doorway. "Looks like we both need new clothes, huh?"

"Yeah...maybe," I said.

I knew money was tight so I never bothered my mom for new things and my weekly twenty-dollar allowance covered most extras I wanted. She had enough to worry about. "I can use some of the birthday money grandma sent me."

She handed me a sealed white envelope. "Better yet why don't you take this to buy some new clothes and treat yourself and the girls to some Cinnabons."

The envelope was squishy in my hand. "What is it?'

"Open it and see."

I tore at the corners until a hint of green poked through then kept tearing until a wad of cash was exposed.

My eyes widened. "How much is this?"

"One hundred dollars."

I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out.

"I got the promotion!" she exclaimed.

I wrapped my arms around her. "That's amazing!"

"You've really stepped up in taking care of the house, yourself, and even me at times so I wanted to give a little something back. I also know homecoming is only a few weeks away so you can use this to buy a new dress and shoes."

"Thank you so much, mom."

"You've earned it." She dropped on the bed next to Nicole. "Now tell me about this boy Mark that you're going out with tonight. Is he cute?"

"Mom, he is so cute!"

Lily nodded her head. "Yes, so cute. He's got short blond hair and brown eyes and he plays varsity baseball."

My mom surveyed the room. "And you girls all approve of Mark?"

Nicole shrugged. "So far, so good."

"If the girls approve, then I approve." She handed me my black sandals. "Whatever happened with the boy Ben you used to always talk about?"

I leaned against my vanity and slipped the sandal on. "He turned out to be a jerk."

"Ben was rude to Jenny at the pa-" Lauren froze before she finished her sentence and Nicole cut in. "-at the pep rally last week, but Mark was so nice and helpful."

"I'm glad to hear that', my mom said, thankfully missing the word party that almost slipped out of Lauren. "You deserve a sweet boy who will see how wonderful you are."

"It's a shame you won't be home to meet him," I told her but admittedly it made the situation less awkward for all of us.

"Next time...I promise." She stopped at my bedroom door before leaving my room. "Oh, and don't forget curfew is still 11:00. If I'm not home before you Ms. Webster from next door will tell me if you stay out later."

"I should be home by ten."

We waited for the front door to close before any of us said anything.

"That was close," Lily whispered.