Chapter 34

I explained everything that happened on Saturday night to the girls on the ride to school, including the night under the stars with Ben. The tears kept falling. I didn't have the strength to fight them dripping down my face when I described the letter and my mother's demands. Nicole gave me a big hug and Lauren pulled out two tissues, one for me and one for her.

Lily's white knuckles gripped her steering wheel. "It was Courtney. You know that right?"

I nodded my head. "I've thought about this a hundred different ways. She's the only one with any real motive to do such a thing."

"And none of us got a letter so it was targeted at you and it wasn't for your sake," she air quoted, "but because she can't stand you being with Ben."

Lauren rubbed my back. "You're not going to stop seeing Ben, are you?"

I didn't answer.

Nicole's eyes got wide at my non-answer. "What are you going to tell him?"

"The truth. I'm going to tell him everything I know and everything my mom said but I'm worried about how he'll react." My throat tightened. "What if he says it's not worth it?"

"The boy told you that he loved you. He's not going to bail now."

I believed her but in the back of my mind I worried that he'd want to date someone who he could actually take on dates and not some girl forbidden to see him. Why would he want to put up with that?

It was impossible to concentrate in first period or even read the chalk board. I could only watch the clock tick down until I could see Ben. Alex sensed I was upset and tried to make a joke to get me to smile, which was appreciated, but pointless- I had only one thing in mind.

I dashed out of the classroom before the bell finished ringing and ran to meet Ben, but instead of seeing him, someone else lingered at my locker. I slowed my approach, hoping it was just a coincidence that Principal Morris and Ms. Deskin were hovering near my locker.

Principal Morris straightened up when he saw me. "Miss Bloom, please open your locker."

I turned towards Ms. Deskin. "Is everything okay?"

She gave me a taut smile. "I'm sure everything is but we have to do this, Jenny."

My hands were shaking as I turned the dial left then right. I couldn't recall the code and my muscle memory was failing me. When I tugged on the lock it wouldn't open. By this time, the hallway had filled up and I could sense everyone's eyes on me. I took a deep breath and on the third try I pulled on the lock and it opened.

A hand smashed against the locker. "What's going on?" Nicole glared at the Principal.

"This is not your concern, Miss Watson. Let us do our job."

"You don't have any right to do this. She's done nothing wrong."

"The state of Florida says otherwise. Now stop interfering or you'll be written up."

I turned towards Nicole. "It's okay, Nicole. Nothing is in my locker."

She removed her hand while Lauren and Lily gave Mr. Morris daggers with their eyes.

Principal Morris opened my locker door. "Please step aside, Jenny."

I watched from behind as they removed my books and notebooks, turned them upside down, and fanned them open. Nothing fell out but something was very wrong. Principal Morris' reflection was in the little mirror and the photo Ben had given me was gone.

"Someone's been in my locker!" I cried out as they unlatched my pink plastic pencil case. It was not where I left it.

They scrutinized the contents of the case, looked at each other, then at me.

Mr. Morris shoved the case in front of me. "Can you explain this?"

Inside were the usual pens, pencils and erasers but there was something new...little white pills.

I tried to step away but the hallway was crowded and there was no escape.

"Those...aren't...mine," I stammered.

"My office. Now!" Principal Morris seized my pencil case, wrapped his hand around the strap of my backpack and ushered me down the hallway.

Ben pushed through the crowd. "Jenny!"

I tried to go to him but Principal Morris wouldn't let go of my strap.

"I'll find you after school!" he shouted.

"Find the girls! They'll tell you everything." I kept my eyes on Ben until the metal doors closed behind me.