Chapter 53

NICOLE

"Nicole, do you have eyes on Cruella? Over."

Through the static of the walkie talkie, I still recognized Tiff's voice. It was the first time anyone had spoken since we tested our walkie talkies in the car and spread out across the campus.

I peered out from my hiding spot behind a pillar near the gym. When I was certain no one was watching me, I clicked down on the side button. "Tiff, did you just make up a code word for you know who?" then let go of the button.

No response.

"Tiff?"

"I think she's waiting for you to say Over," Lauren's voice added on the line.

I rolled my eyes but couldn't hold back a smile. "Over."

"I thought it was fitting. Over."

"They're still inside practicing. Over."

I checked my watch. 10:02. My hands began to shake and a sudden urge to pee pressed against my bladder. It reminded me of playing hide and seek with Tiff when we were kids. I'd always get the nervous pees waiting in my hiding spot in the closet or under the counter when I'd hear my older sister's footsteps approaching.

The gym doors burst open and I jumped back behind her pillar. "Lauren, they're coming out this exit. Over."

"Got it. Heading to my next lookout. Over."

I studied the cheerleaders as they piled out the doors until I spotted Cruella exiting with Lisa. They all headed towards the locker room except for Cruella who, after saying something to Lisa, split from the group. "Tiff, she's heading your way. Lily, the rest are coming to you. Over."

#

TIFFANY

I turned the walkie talkie volume down to the lowest level and crouched down in the driver's seat. Earlier, I moved the car and parked in a different spot where the sun's reflection beamed into the car. From this angle, I could see Cruella's car but the sun's reflection would make it difficult for Cruella to see me.

She came alone, still wearing her cheerleading outfit with the orange skirt and white and orange top.

Where is my old skirt? Did mom pack it in the attic? I have to make sure it still fits.

I whispered into the walkie talkie. "Cruella is getting into the driver's seat of her car. Over."

"Is she leaving? Over," Lily asked.

"Not sure. Cruella is leaning over the passenger side. I can't tell what she's doing. We need binoculars next time. Over."

It was probably only thirty seconds but it felt like an hour that I watched her shift things around in her car. Then she opened her door.

"Cruella is heading back to campus. She has her bag. I'll stay twenty seconds behind her."

My palms began to sweat. "Lauren, she's heading towards the field. Over."

#

LAUREN

Cruella stepped from the parking lot and walked between the back buildings and the stadium. She wasn't exactly hiding since everyone knew she was at practice today, but she was taking the way that avoided the most notice. I felt a little silly hiding under the stands but there were some kids playing tag so maybe I could pass as their babysitter or something.

She neared the stands and I slipped back into the shadows. The concrete pathway she walked was only a few yards from where I was stationed. One of the boys squealed when he got tagged and Cruella's head twisted towards the commotion. I held my breath, curling my toes into the soles of my sneakers, trying to squeeze away the anxiety of getting caught and ruining this whole charade. Her eyes scanned passed me but she didn't detect my presence. The color returned to my face when she kept walking.