Chapter 31

That blissful, familiar sound of his car door closing made my heart leap because it announced he was near.

"Mom!" I called out to the living room. "Ben's here. Can you stall him for a minute?"

The sofa croaked when she stood up. "You haven't left your room for three hours. Are you still not ready?"

"Mom, please!"

My excitement level was always turned up when I knew I'd get to see Ben but tonight was even more special- he was taking me to meet his parents.

I added another coat of lip gloss, checked my hair hadn't completely fallen flat, and reapplied my deodorant for the fourth time.

Thankfully it would be a cool evening.

He smiled when I met him and my mom chatting in the entryway. "You look beautiful," he said.

He always looked amazing.

I could sense he wanted to kiss me but my mom standing inches away blocked that inkling.

"Are you sure I'm not too casual?" I looked down at my jeans and new sweater and felt completely under dressed. "Should I have worn a dress instead?"

"No, it's perfect. Besides, it's only burgers on the grill at my house so nothing fancy required."

I squeezed his hand. "Okay mom, we're leaving. I'll be back by curfew."

"You too have fun," she said.

Ben walked me to his Jeep and opened the passenger door. "Can I kiss you now?"

His request was like melted butter against my lips.

"I insist upon it," I said and wrapped my hands around his neck as he pulled me close against his hard frame.

I loved his kiss, his body, the way he held me. I loved everything about him.

I had fifteen minutes to settle my nerves and calm myself before we arrived at his house and joined his family for dinner. Thankfully, his hand intertwined with mine was helping.

My eyes drifted to his beautiful face. "I have a confession."

I saw you with Courtney.

His fingers flexed in my hand. "What is it?"

No, he'll tell me that when he's ready.

"I'm really nervous to meet your family."

He laughed and his strong hand gave me a soft squeeze. "Don't be. I've been talking you up to my parents and they're excited to meet you. They insisted I invite you over and," he paused to pull up the parking brake, "I want you to meet them."

I gave him a weak smile and he brushed my cheek with his hand. "My parents are super chill so there's nothing to be worried about."

"What if they don't like me?"

He kissed me. "Impossible."

We stepped through the front door and a male voice called out, "We're in the back!"

I had been in Ben's house before but never with anyone else there. Walking around as a guest of his parents made everything in the house and in their beautifully decorated rooms seem so formal.

Ben led me to the backyard and when we stepped onto the large wooden deck, he announced "I'd like you all to meet Jenny." I immediately felt four pairs of eyes focus on me.

Before I could utter the word "hello," my stomach grumbled so loudly at the smell of burgers wafting through the air that I was certain they all heard it too. I had been too nervous to eat earlier which I now realized was a mistake.