Chapter 16

I struggled to open my eyes. A heaviness weighed on them and it took all my strength to separate my lashes. The morning sun peeked through the window and by the familiar lumps underneath me I knew I was lying in my own bed. My body didn't want to move - like it had permanently sunk into the bed, but something tight was compressing across my chest. I reached behind me, unsnapped my bra, and tossed it to the edge of the bed.

Why was I still wearing Nicole's blouse?

I leaned over the side of my bed and saw Nicole, Lauren and Lily spread across the bedroom floor asleep. I pinched the bridge between my nose. My head ached so much that my only coherent thought was finding aspirin and water. I stepped around Nicole to avoid waking her, went to the kitchen, and filled a glass a water hoping it would magically wash away the headache.

How much did I drink last night?

"You're awake?" Nicole asked from the kitchen doorway.

"Barely," I croaked. "I've never felt worse in my life." I gulped down the water. "What happened last night?"

"Why don't you go rest on the couch and I'll bring you some aspirin?"

I nodded and made my way to the couch. "Can you bring me some more water too?" I called back.

She dropped the pills into my hands, handed me the water, and slumped down next to me. "What do you remember about last night?"

I swallowed the pills hoping in twenty minutes life would be livable again. "Why? Did I really drink that much?"

"Please, just humor me."

"I remember going to the party and", I paused. I couldn't recall what happened next. It was all blank.

"Do you remember talking with Mark?" she encouraged.

I searched my mind until I found that answer then winced. The act of thinking hurt. I sunk back against the couch. "Yeah, we talked about homecoming night and I told him I wasn't ready to join him at the hotel afterward. He was nice about it but said that we should probably find other dates."

"Did he give you a drink?"

I nodded. "One wine cooler but that's the only thing I can remember drinking."

Nicole's jaw tightened. "And what happened after that?"

A flash of memory scrawled across my mind. Ben sitting next to me. "Ben...I talked with Ben outside." I closed my eyes. "But I can't remember our conversation. I should remember that."

"Then what?"

Something was wrong.

"What's going on Nicole?"

"I promise I'll explain everything but first tell me about the rest of the night."

I stared up at the ceiling chasing after thoughts that kept escaping. They all felt so distant, so external. "I remember arriving at the party, Mark, then sitting with Ben and that's it. The rest is blank."

"That's everything you remember?"

"There's something else but I can't explain it." I curled my legs to my chest. "It's a feeling...like I floated from one place to another." I looked back at Nicole. "I don't understand. Why can't I remember anything?"

"Something happened last night. To you."

My heart began pounding and it was making me headache worsen. "Worse than getting dumped two weeks before homecoming?"

"Much." She took the empty glass from my hand and placed it on the coffee table. "I'm going to tell you truth exactly as it happened. It's only right that you know."