Chapter 50

I dropped my gym bag on the floor and wiped my sweaty hands across my track uniform before answering the kitchen phone. "You're timing was perfect."

The only time Ben could call was before five in case my mom answered so we had to sneak our calls late at night after my mom had gone to bed or for a few minutes after our practices. And I had to always remember to clear the caller ID when he called.

"Jenny?"

A cold shiver coiled around my spine.

"Please don't hang up. I have something important to tell you."

I stiffened. "What do you want, Mark?"

"I heard about your suspension and why you were suspended and...I think it's partially my fault," he sputtered out.

"It is!" I seethed through the phone. "You're the reason people think I do drugs."

"I know and I'd do anything to make that go away."

"But you can't, so here we are."

"No, I can't."

The line was silent.

"If you're calling to apologize...save it. You're too late. I've completed my punishment and moved on. Goodbye Mark and don't call here again."

Before I could end the call I heard him yell through the receiver. "I know Courtney put those pills in your locker!"

I put the phone to my ear. "And how do you know that?"

"She's the one who told me to spike your drink that night. She said you liked the stuff but had an image to keep so you wouldn't ask for them yourself. I told her I didn't feel comfortable but she took the pill from me and dropped it in your drink." His voice got quiet. "I mean...I handed you the drink so I'm still responsible for what happened but I can't help thinking that if I had told you the truth back then you wouldn't be in this trouble now."

I folded into the couch and closed my eyes. "Why didn't you tell me this earlier?"

"I don't know. I guess I've always had a thing for Courtney and thought if I did everything she asked she'd give me a chance. I see now that she played me the whole time."

"Do you have proof that she put them in my locker?"

"No, but I know where she got them from. She asked to buy some off of me but I'm totally out of that game but she kept begging me to help her so I hooked her up with this guy I used to hang with. She bought them off of him. I promise you I had no idea what she planned to do with them. She didn't tell me."

"What good does that do me, Mark?" I said through gritted teeth. "I already knew that Courtney set me up. I've known from the beginning. The problem was I didn't have any proof so I got suspended for something I didn't do because I had no evidence to contradict the pills found in my locker...the pills, I've just learned, that you helped her get so though I appreciate your honesty, it doesn't really help me."

I waited for his response though I knew it wouldn't help.

"I don't think she's done with you."

I sat up. "What do you mean?"

"She called me ten minutes ago begging me to get her a dealer's worth or more and that she needed them by tomorrow night, earliest dawn on Saturday. I told her to kick rocks but I wanted to warn you in case you two are going to be in the same place on Saturday."

This can't be happening.

"I think she's going to set you up again. Courtney has never bought drugs before she planted them in your locker and I don't know of any other reason she would need so many."

It clicked. "She wants me expelled. She's a total psychopath!"

I wanted to scream out "You already won Courtney! Everything I tried failed. How much more can you take from me?", but something bubbled up to the surface.

"Call her back and tell her you'll set her up with someone."

"Why?"

"Give me an hour and I'll give you the when and where to pass to Courtney. You'll have to tell her it's not the same guy she met up with last time. Can you do that for me?"

"Sure," he hesitated. "I owe you this."

"Don't worry, Mark. I'm not asking you to get involved with anything illegal," I sighed. "In some way, I'm almost doing Courtney a favor. One hour. I'll call you back," then hung up.

It felt like my life was about to veer off the rails again but a plan was forming as I dialed the next number.

"Nicole, get Tiff and put the phone on speaker. The Snoop Crew is back on."

"What's going on?"

"Do you still have that Velma Halloween costume with the auburn wig and glasses?"

"It's probably in the attic but yeah, I think so," she said. "Why?"

I took a deep breath and explained the newly-hatched plan to her and Tiff. "I know it's asking a lot but I could really use both of yours help."

"We're in," Nicole said. "I can hear Tiff stomping up the stairs. She's already on her way to the attic."

I called Mark back and told him to set up a meeting with Courtney and his new dealer for Friday at nine behind the Texaco.

"Who should I tell her to look for?" he asked.

"A woman with glasses, short dark hair, and dressed all in black. And Mark, you can't tell a soul about this. I need you to keep this a secret or it'll ruin everything."

"I give you my word. I know that doesn't mean much right now but I promise I won't let you down."

"One more question, Mark. What over the counter pills could pass for roofies?"