Chapter 54

"Jenny you're up in two minutes for pole. Get ready."

My heart was hammering inside my chest. The adrenaline had not stopped pumping through my veins since I switched off the light and left Lily hiding in Coach's office. I got a personal best in my relay event but I needed to focus if I had any chance of placing for pole.

I scanned the stands and open area for the girls but I couldn't find them. I wish I knew what was happening before I flipped myself over that bar.

When the first competitor cleared the bar Coach spoke to me. "I know you've had a rough few weeks because of that whole mess with your locker, but I want you to know that no matter where you place today, I want you...no I expect you, to be on my team next year. Understand?"

"Understood, Coach."

I cleared the height, then the next one until only me and one other Junior Varsity competitor remained. The bar would have to be raised again.

Wendy jogged over to Coach and I and we all huddled together. "I already know what you're thinking, Jenny."

"Yeah," I nodded nervously, "I've never cleared that height before."

"But I know that you can."

I shook my head. "That's only six inches lower than what you won Varsity with. You've seen me try in practice. I've never succeeded."

She glanced at the bar hovering beneath the sky then back to me. "Looks like a good day for a P.R."

Coach smiled. "I second that."

Both myself and my competitor missed our first two attempts and now she waited on the line for her third try. She planted her pole, made it over the bar but her foot caught it on the way down. I had one more try. Wendy gave me a thumbs up as I took a step towards the line.

Something caught my eye. Past the mat and through the field I saw my best friends running and waving their hands. Over the noise of the crowd and with a gentle breeze blowing my way I heard their collective scream of "Yes!". That one word lifted me off the ground. It was as if a weight that had been tied around my neck, dragging me into the earth, had finally lifted. I cleared the bar. I won.

I ran to my friends and we began jumping up and down.

"I can't believe it worked!" I cried out.

"It went perfect!" Nicole said. "Well, almost perfect." She pointed to Ben and Marcus. "These guys surprised us but Lauren did some quick thinking and saved the day."

Ben handed me the flowers then picked me up in his arms. "You should have told me, Jenny. I could have helped."

I kissed him. "I didn't want to get anyone else involved but I'm so happy you're here."

Coach blew his whistle and waved me back.

"I have to get my medals but don't forget one second of the story. I want to hear everything!"

Coach laid the two medals around my neck. "You did well, Jenny."

I could hear my friends cheering for me from the stands which only made the moment more magical.

"Jenny Bloom?"

My sturdy legs began to tremble when I noticed who was asking the question.

"Yes, officer. I'm Jenny Bloom."

In my excitement I hadn't noticed the school resource officer approach me.

"We need to talk."

"Is everything okay?" my voice cracking as I spoke which I imagined made me look guilty in his eyes.

"We've received an anonymous tip. I need to see your locker."

"What's going on here?" Coach Hall interrupted.

"I need to see the contents of Jenny's locker now."

The vein in Coach's neck twitched. "Fine, but I'm coming with you."

Coach and I followed the resource officer. Minutes earlier I had felt light as a feather but each step now felt like I was trudging through mud.

I knew he wouldn't find anything but some small doubt lurched in the shadows. I looked back at my friends but their faces told me everything would be alright.

I pointed at my locker. "It's not locked, officer."

"Please get your bag out and empty its contents."

I turned the bag upside down and unzipped every pocket. The officer combed through all my personal items sprawled out on the floor.

"Satisfied?" Coach asked him. "There's nothing illegal here."

The officer searched my empty locker then asked, "Anything in your pockets?"

Coach folded his arms. "Her uniform doesn't have pockets. Besides she just flipped over a pole. Anything in her pockets would have fallen out."

I yanked on the sides of my shorts. "No pockets."

The officer looked at Coach and then me. "I'm satisfied. You're free to go. Apologies for the intrusion."

I walked back with Coach to my friends, my heart still hammering in my chest.