Chapter 41: A Change of Heart

By Monday, I had reverted back to my usual self. I had been embarrassed all weekend by the way I had fallen apart in front of Liz like that, whining like a petty, little schoolgirl. I really wanted to hide my face under a paper bag for the rest of my life. However, Liz had been in high spirits all weekend. She literally never stopped smiling. Even in her sleep.

"I swear, I was PMS-ing!" I tried everything to convince Liz that all it was nothing more than a simple spike in the hormones.

I had tried all weekend. But it was too late, the damage had been done.

"Oh, stop lying to yourself already!" Liz chirped, "You're in love!" she cooed, "Or why else would I be able to witness such an intense meltdown, right?".

That was it. My face was never to see the sun again. But I was glad for one thing. Sasuke hadn't been there to witness that and Liz hadn't been traitorous enough to tell him what had happened after he left.

"Look on the bright side, Vira. Now Hana doesn't stand a chance!" Liz snickered triumphantly.

I grunted my half-hearted acknowledgment. I was actually more worried about Sasuke. Even if I didn't like him, he was still my friend and a close one at that. It still hurt me more or less to see him leave that day with that kind of expression on his face. I hoped that he wouldn't look like that today. I wouldn't know how to cope with that.

Unfortunately, luck wasn't exactly on my side.

I sighed as Hana bounced her way towards Liz and I, "God...just my luck" I muttered.

Hana stopped in front of us, her face serious, "What did you do to him?" she demanded.

"What do you mean?" I asked dully.

"I mean exactly what I said" she growled, "What did you do to him?!" she questioned, somewhat louder.

I glared at her, "That's none of your business" I snarled.

She leaned closer towards me, "Oh yes it is!" she insisted, "I spent the entire weekend trying to cheer him up. Whatever you did, you probably just ruined all of your chances" she said contemptuously.

"What makes you think that?" I sneered.

She leaned back, a confident expression on her face, "Because it's my turn to attack now".

With that, she turned her back and began to strut away.

"Hey!" I called, stopping her in her steps, "Do you have that bad of a memory?" I said, tilting my head innocently, "I said not to get in my way...or did you forget our deal already?" I smirked.

She turned around to face me, her face barely containing her anger, "Don't you worry. I remember. But I'm not going to give up on him. I'd rather die than do that. I'll prove to you, that whatever rumours you've been hearing, they're all lies. I'll return what is owed in another way but it definitely won't be this way. He's mine. He was mine to start with and he will still be mine" she emphasized the last three words.

I shrugged, "Whatever you want. But let me just remind you. Next time you're in a pinch, you will not see me" I promised.

She smiled sweetly, "That's fine. I won't need you" she said, "I'll have someone who's much more capable at protecting someone he cares about. You should be worried, because the next time you're in a pinch, you won't have him to come to your rescue again" she said, her face steely.

"We'll see who needs to be saved in the end" I retorted.

"The only one you'll be able to depend on is that redhead if you keep up your act. So, at this point, I guess I should thank you" she taunted, "I'll thank you for voluntarily backing out of the competition and practically handing Sasuke over to me. I promise that I'll take good care of him" she then turned on her heels and walked away.