Chapter 42: House Sitting

The next day, I practically raced to school, dragging Liz along behind me.

"How do you know this plan will actually work?" she demanded, panting as she ran after me.

I shook my head, "I don't know. But I've got to try" I said between breaths that billowed out in the winter air.

The hope that had manifested itself within me yesterday was bursting out in waves almost. I couldn't wait. I couldn't wait to expose Hana and her true intentions. I couldn't wait to see the look on her face. I couldn't wait to have Sasuke back to normal again.

I plowed through the doors to the school, Liz barely kept up behind me. I looked around before racing for our homeroom. It was our first class today as well. I didn't even bother to stop and say hello to people I saw in the hallway. I was much too excited. Well, maybe I'd stop if I saw Hana, just to tease her.

"Sasuke!" I called as I slid around the corner and exploded into the classroom.

"Ah, thank you for being on time for the attendance, Elvira" Kakashi smiled pleasantly at me.

"I'm here!" Liz called, breathless as she appeared behind me moments later.

"Well, take a seat, you two" Kakashi gestured to our empty desks in the back, "You don't want to keep the class waiting, do you?".

I was too stunned to move, "Uh...where's Sasuke?" I asked.

"Well, quite obviously, it looks like he's not here, Elvira" Kakashi's voice dropped several decibels, "Now, if you don't take a seat soon and stop disturbing the class, I'm going to have to give you and Elize detentions" he warned.

I dejectedly dragged my feet to my desk and plopped down in my seat.

"I don't understand...where is he?" I pouted.

Liz sighed, "Relax, he's probably sick, or maybe the bruises around his neck turned out to be worse than he thought" she shrugged, "He'll be back by tomorrow" she seemed so confident.

I heaved a great sigh and sagged against my chair, staring tiredly at my blank desk. I was in no mood to listen to Kakashi discuss the Great Depression right now. I already felt depressed enough as it was.

"Gaara!" I cried as I saw him in the hall at lunch.

His eyes widened in horror as he saw me and Liz pelting towards him. Weird, Liz hadn't been able to contact him all day today and he refused to answer any of our notes in class. He even snuck out when the bell rang for lunch. He was definitely trying to avoid us. Though, why, I had no idea.

"Hey, Gaara!" I called again as he began to walk the other way quickly.

Liz and I caught up with him before he could get far.

"Oh, hey!" he greeted overly cheerfully.

"What's the deal?!" Liz demanded, her cheeks puffed up angrily, "Why are you ignoring us?! Most importantly, me!" she stomped her foot to emphasize her point.

Gaara scratched his head and laughed nervously, "Was I?".

"Oh, stop acting. You're really horrible at it" I brushed off his erratic behaviour quickly, "I know you know something about Sasuke being away today. Tell me what happened" I commanded.

"T-there's r-really nothing w-wrong" Gaara stammered, "R-really!" he insisted.

Liz rolled her eyes, "Uh huh, you think you could actually trick me with that act of yours? I know you inside out. Now spill it" she said harshly.

Gaara sighed, his shoulders falling, "Sasuke...he's...how can I put this...I guess..." he paused to look me in the eye, "He's not feeling well" he said, frowning.