Chapter 43: The Chrysanthemum

It was a lot easier said than done. But unfortunately I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I had agreed to stay.

"We've been here doing basically nothing for the past few hours, so you can imagine how bored we are. You want to join us in a few rounds of poker? Texas Hold 'em?" Deidara asked cheekily.

I bit my lip and scratched my head, "Um...I don't exactly know how to play..." I admitted.

"That's fine!" Deidara seemed extra excited now, "We'll teach you as we go! Don't worry, we're only betting chips" he assured me as he jerked his thumb at the bags of potato chips on the counter.

I nodded slowly, "Sure...I guess".

It was a way to while away the time, right?

They set up the table quickly and there were four seats with a pile of chips for each of them.

"Take a seat, Elvira, don't be shy" Deidara put a hand on my back to usher me into a seat.

I was a bit nervous about the contact but was able to shrug it off quickly.

"So! Poker is actually really easy. Trust me, you'll get it in no time. Even our little Sasuke got it within the first five rounds" Deidara assured me.

I smirked, "I'll go for the first three" I said cockily.

"Oh, ho, ho! An over-achiever, aren't we?" Deidara chuckled, "Don't push yourself too hard, Sasuke's special, he gets things fast. He can watch it once and be able to do it perfectly. You don't get those a lot" he said, as if comforting me.

I shrugged, "We'll see".

He smiled at me, "I'll be here to help you, don't worry. I won't let those two take advantage of you".

Deidara started to explain the general rules of poker as Hidan shuffled and dealt.

"You get it?" he asked, a bit out of breath.

I pursed my lips, "Somewhat".

"Alright, let's start then" Sasori urged.

I put my hands over the two cards that were dealt to me. I peeled up the two corners and peeked at it. An ace of spades and a three of clubs. I glared at my cards, hating it and loving it.

Deidara clucked his tongue, "Elvira" he said with a reprimanding tone, "Remember, poker face. Those two will annihilate you if you let them see through your emotions" he half-whispered to me.

Sasori smirked at me, in a way that made me want to avert my gaze. And so, I did, to Hidan. He had a confident, smug look on his face and at the moment, he was also looking at me, I guessed that they were both judging my facial expression for hints on what kind of a hand I had.

I waited as everyone either called or folded. I called. Deidara was the only one who had folded. I didn't want to back out quite yet.

"Good girl" Deidara praised, "Hana just kept folding from the beginning" he snickered.

I bit my lip and stayed silent. I watched as Hidan, who was also the dealer, put out three cards, the flop as they called it. There was a jack of spades, a two of hearts and a six of hearts. I bit my lip, trying hard to remember all of the possible winning combinations and which seemed the most likely right now.

"Call" Sasori said without a moment's hesitation.

Hidan raised. It was the moment of truth for me now. Deidara siddled closer.

"It's fine" he said, "Just go with your guts. It's not very likely to be able to get it right from the beginning".

I hesitantly called. Sasori folded. Then came the time to flip the turn. A four of diamonds. I judged my situation. At this rate, it was quite possible that I would be able to get a straight. Hidan watched me as I made my decision. His scrutinizing gaze made me fidget in my seat.