Chapter 16: The Competition

"So, what happened in the washroom anyways?" Liz asked as we walked home from the cinema after we had said our goodbyes.

I shrugged, "I just gave her a second chance".

"Could it really be that simple?" Liz asked dubiously.

I shrugged again, "Well, what else do you expect from someone who has no real friends. I guess I'm pretty soft".

She nodded her understanding but her brow remained creased all the way home. It looked like Karin had to do some serious convincing before everyone could start to believe her.

I handed in my math work quietly. Math was one of the few classes that I didn't have with Sasuke or Liz. Which was what basically made it boring. I spun my pencil around and around absently as Asuma explained polynomials to us. I ended up spinning my pencil around for the next hour, taking me all the way to lunch.

"Please study for the quiz next class!" Asuma called to all of the students filing out.

Everyone nodded their heads absently, more focused on getting to lunch on time. Just as I picked up my books and headed for the door, Asuma stopped me.

"Hey, Elvira! Could I talk to you for a minute?" he called, a pleasant smile on his face.

I blinked my eyes rapidly, "Uh, sure" I said, mildly surprised.

"As I'm sure you're aware of, you're getting top marks in class and I recommend taking a look at this brochure as I'm sure you're doing well in all of your other classes as well" he handed a relatively thick brochure to me, "Think about it, okay?".

"Sure thing, Sensei" I dipped my head and walked out, reading the cover.

Student Overseas Academy for the Gifted

I snorted, "Gifted, am I?" I tossed the brochure into the nearest garbage bin with pinpoint accuracy, "I'd be stupid to be looking for harder and more homework" I mumbled and raced towards my locker.

"You're the slowest slowpoke in all of human history, Elvira!" Liz groaned as I stumbled my way to the our favourite tree on the school grounds.

"Sorry, Asuma had to talk to me" I apologized and slumped down on the grass next to Karin, who seemed extremely uncomfortable until I had arrived.

"What? Forgot to do your homework?" Liz raised her eyebrow, knowing that even though I'm lazy, I'd never screw up my education.

"Nah, quite the opposite. Tried to interest me in some exchange thing but I'm not interested" I shrugged and took a big bite out of my sandwich.

"A good thing too" Sasuke piped up, "My bro went when he was in tenth grade and he had to stay in America for three quarters of the school year".

I smiled widely, "I know. I'm freaking smart".

Everyone started laughing, causing me to join in. Who'd want to leave all this behind for America? Oh great, now I was insulting my home country...oh well.

Life here in Japan was pretty awesome. I got good grades, I got good friends, I had everything that I could've wanted. Over the next few days, school was much more enjoyable. Karin gradually eased herself into our social group and I was glad to see that she was fitting in. One of my most coveted holidays was also fast approaching. Halloween spirit hung itself up on every empty wall, talk of events and costumes echoed through the halls, making everyone more jumpy than usual.

"So, what are you dressing up as?" I heard Sakura ask Ino as I passed them in the halls.

Ino was obviously happy to talk about this certain subject, "I've already started making it! It's going to be great! It's a..." their voices faded away as I turned a corner, heading towards my locker to grab my lunch.