Chapter 45: The Rose

I was starting to worry that I was trying too hard to make a good impression on Sasuke's brother's friends. It seemed as if all of them thought that it was a great idea to make a move on me while both Itachi and Sasuke were out of the house. Why? I had no idea. I was still in high school while there were all in university and I was in no way trying to seduce them or anything. I had no idea what was going on but I could hardly keep up with the pace that things were going.

"You really are pretty" Sasori said as we reached the top of the flight of stairs.

I stiffened and almost stumbled backwards, back down the stairs. He grabbed my arm and steadied me, a small smile on his face.

"Don't worry, I'm not trying to make a move on you. They don't hit on girls randomly, it just looked like you needed an explanation" he reassured me.

I blushed, "Wow, you really read my mind..." I chuckled nervously.

He shrugged, "Wasn't really trying".

I gave him a curious look as he turned back around and took the last few steps up to the second floor. Hopefully, this guy wasn't lying. I followed him into a room that had walls that were entirely made up by book shelves.

"So the brothers like reading, huh?" I noted, looking around at the bookshelves that were literally stuffed to the brim with books big and small.

On top of that, cardboard boxes full of yet more books were strewn here and there and there were several that were on the ground and another pile on the study desk.

"This isn't even all of it" Sasori gave a small smile, "That's why I like it here so much. I don't need a library card".

I chuckled, "So you come here often?".

Sasori shook his head, "Only when he asks me too. I have a much bigger study at home but I don't have as much variety as him" he answered quietly.

I nodded, "Seems like you guys get along pretty well...were you guys friends since high school or something?" I continued to ask.

Sasori leaned against the desk as he brushed the cover of a thick book with his finger, "We were friends since elementary school actually, so...I guess you could say that we get along well" he said thoughtfully.

"Wow, since elementary? That's impressive" I said, sincerely amazed that Itachi could get along with such diverse people for so long.

"Brothers at heart, I would say. We understand what the other wants and needs. When Sasuke came along, it really seemed like he had four older brothers" he said, laughing lightly.

I scoffed, "That's probably why he's so spoiled now, right?" I said half-jokingly.

Sasori nodded, looking at me, "He really is".

I wandered over to a bookshelf and picked up a book off the shelf, "No wonder those two are so smart..." I said under my breath as I tried to understand that advanced terms on the cover of the book.

"What about you? Do you have a favourite subject?" Sasori asked casually as he sat down in the chair behind the desk and flipped open a random book.

I shrugged, "Not especially. I like most of my subjects..." I said as I put the book down and picked up another with less intimidating words.

"Do you have any idea of what you want to do in the future? Hopefully not a housewife, right? I've heard enough about your grades from Sasuke already" he said, giving me a quizzical look.

"Definitely not" I said immediately, "I'd rather be a sweeper at a park or something" I grumbled, "But I don't really have any idea what I want to be yet..." I responded slowly as I picked up another book.