Chapter 29: A Clench

Over the next two days, my skiing abilities improved dramatically. I guess when you've got no skills, there's no where to go but up, right? I was soon able to conquer the hard hills with maybe one or two minor falls. Going down the black diamond hills was still way out of the question though. All this time, Sasuke had been patiently keeping up with me. He had been teaching and helping me since the very beginning. While he did that, he still managed to compete with me, oftentimes racing me down the hill or making me try one trick or the other. These four days had taken a lot out of me but it had been a lot of fun too. Not to mention all the delicious food. Currently, it was the afternoon of our last full day. We would be leaving the morning after.

"Come on! Let's go!" Sasuke beckoned to me.

I started slowly but eventually began to pick up speed, catching up to him in a heartbeat. We were now tearing down the hard slope, swerving left and right. My breathe was taken away as we raced downhill, zipping right past everyone else. It was an intoxicating exhilaration. I arrived at the base of the hill first but I knew that Sasuke had let me win. He did that sometimes.

"So, what now?" Sasuke asked as we stopped to take a breather a safe distance away from the bottom of our last hill.

I shrugged, "I dunno, my legs are certainly sore enough" I said, patting my knees in the process.

"Up for some hot chocolate?" Sasuke suggested with bright eyes.

I nodded eagerly, "I'll race you in skis!" I said before taking off, shuffling awkwardly over the snow in my clumsy skis.

Eventually, we reached the cafeteria where the beautiful aroma of hot chocolate suffused the air. I quickly snapped off my skis and rested them in the crook of my arm before digging into my snowpants to find my wallet.

"I've got it" Sasuke said as he caught up, breathing hard.

I laughed, "You better get your breath first. I think you'll need that more" I said as the cashier beckoned us forward.

"How can I help you today, ma'am?" the cashier asked kindly.

"Two extra large hot chocolates, please" I said right away.

With a nod, she punched in our order, "That'll be five hundred and ninety-four yen".

I handed her a bill and she got my change, handing it back with our hot chocolates. As I pocketed the money, Sasuke helpfully grabbed the beverages and picked out a table to sit down at. I threw down my skis on the table and removed my freezing gloves.

"Ahhhh" I sighed as I wrapped my cold fingers around my drink.

Sasuke already had the drink to his lips...much to soon it seemed.

"Ouch!" he hissed as the hot chocolate burned his lips.

I smirked, "Don't need me to warm them up now, do you?" I sneered.

He gave me a look before copying my admittedly much smarter actions. We shared a moment of silence as we waited for our drinks to cool enough for us to drink.

"You know...you've gotten really good in the past few days" Sasuke said quietly.

I cautiously sipped my hot chocolate, nodding, "And don't my bones know it" I chuckled.

He laughed too, "You're almost as good as me at a jump too" he glanced at me out of the corner of his eye mischievously.

I raised an eyebrow, "Oh, really? Well, I guess you're almost as good as me at shuffling in skis!" I retorted cheekily.

We laughed. I guess my skiing abilities weren't the only things that improved in the last few days. Sasuke and I were getting along really well lately. For what reason, I had no idea but I found that I actually enjoyed his company. It seemed that he was almost just as attuned to me as Liz was. Of course, I would never admit this to him but...he really wasn't always a pervert. Sometimes, he could be a normal, high school guy too and I liked that side of him, even if he was seen rarely. Maybe...if he still wanted to...just maybe...I'd go on a date with him...