Chapter 17: Feelings That Matter

"What'll you do now?" Liz asked as we sprinted for the subway station.

"Seriously, I have no idea" I said, looking over my shoulder to see if we had any followers, "They're all a bit intense about this".

I barreled through the turnstiles, pausing only long enough to wait for Liz.

"What can you do? You'll have to choose sooner or later! The dance is only five days away!" Liz reminded, "Plus, you don't even have a costume".

I frowned, "It's all Sasuke's fault! If he didn't kiss me, the others wouldn't have raised their hopes" I grumbled.

Our hair flew wildly as the subway pulled into the station. We got on and released our pent up breaths.

Liz sighed, "Well, I'll tell you one thing, I'm not going to last too many more of these after school escapes of yours" she slumped back into the seat tiredly.

Only one more day...one more accursed day. I had rings around my eyes from trying to cope with all the stress. Throughout the week, Sasuke, Kiba and Neji had been continuously harassing me about going to the dance, I wasn't sure how much more I could take.

"Just give in to me" Sasuke said exasperatedly.

I let my breath whoosh out, "Leave me alone" I mumbled lethargically.

It was a work period in art class and I was almost done. I would do the finishing touches when this madness was over.

He played with a strand of my hair absently, "Don't tell me you're actually into them?".

I slapped his hand away, suddenly alert, "I'm not a bus. No one gets a ride" I growled menacingly.

He raised his hands in surrender, "Okay, okay".

I sighed. The love...square between Sasuke, Kiba, Neji and I had been the hot topic in the school for the past month and everyone knew about the showdown at the dance that was scheduled to happen. I wished these people weren't so full of gossip. The tension was about to rip me to shreds.

I took a deep breath and Liz patted my back roughly, "Good luck".

She straightened out her costume and we walked in the doors of the gym as two she-devils. The music was already blaring and all grades were present.

"Gaara!" Liz waved to a boy in a pirate costume.

"It's Jack Sparrow, ma'am" he smirked at Liz.

She smiled back, "Well, let's get to know each other a little better" and they left hand and hand to disappear into the crowd.

I sighed. Maybe I could get in a cup of punch before all the fighting started. As I was walking, I was suddenly pulled roughly aside.

"Hey! What the-!" I was shut up as I saw who it was.

It was Karin in an angel costume.

"Oh, you scared me there" I breathed a sigh of relief.

She looked around before speaking, "How's it been so far? Did they find you yet?" she asked in a hushed tone.

I shook my head, "I'm nervous enough as it is" I clenched my fists.

Karin frowned, "I think it's just starting" she pointed to someone behind me.

Kiba was walking towards us in a military soldier getup, "Yo".

"Hi..." I mumbled back half-heartedly.