Chapter 19: Gambling Problems

I took off my jacket and slung it over my shoulder as we walked in. Sasuke hesitated outside a bit but I wasn't about to let him get away from me. I grabbed his arm and pulled him closer.

"Don't worry, I'm not a complete monster" I whispered into his ear, a grin spreading across my lips.

I dragged him the rest of the way towards the last room at the end of the hall. I gave him one last mischievous smile before turning the doorknob and leading him through the door.

"Ah! Elvira! It's good to see you again! What's the occasion?" a middle-aged woman greeted right away.

I smiled and bowed, "Just dropping by, Mika-Sensei. Can I plead a few more hours of volunteer work from you today?".

"What? Volunteer hours?" Sasuke echoed quietly behind me.

"Of course, Elvira! Everyone's happy to see you!" Mika replied cheerily.

I took off my shoes and let Sasuke show his face, "This is...my friend, Sasuke. He's going to be helping out today as well" I introduced to Mika, "And this is Mika-Sensei" I said to Sasuke.

"Sure! The more the merrier!" she welcomed us in.

The second I walked out of the small hallway, a swarm of kids swamped me, everyone struggling to hug a piece of me.

"Elvira! Elvira! Yay, you're back! We missed you!" they all cried in a jumbled cacophony of noise.

"Hey, guys! How're you doing? I missed you too!" I cooed as I crouched down to let them hug me.

"Wow, I never knew you were this popular" Sasuke chuckled.

"She's always been welcomed by the children. She works really well with them" Mika-Sensei said with a relaxed sigh.

"Elvira, let's go play something! Come on!" the children began to drag me towards their blocks.

"Okay, okay, slow down!" I giggled at their enthusiasm.

Sasuke followed behind me slowly, unsure of what to do. As I kneeled down beside the kids building their castle, one of the little girls tackled me with a big hug.

"Elvira!" she shrieked happily, sitting on my lap.

"Hello, Yoko" I poked her nose affectionately.

She smiled widely, showing her missing tiger tooth, "You finally came back! You're so slow!" she half-whined.

I patted her head, "I'm sorry, Yoko. If I help you build the castle, will you forgive me?" I pleaded with a gentle tone.

"Okay!" she chirped and began to lead me closer to the half-built block castle.

"I never knew that you were so good with kids" Sasuke finally spoke.

He was wearing a smug expression but I could see that he was rather uncomfortable at the moment.

"There's a lot that you don't know about me" I said as I handed a block to Yoko to stack.

"Who's that person?" Yoko asked, tugging on my sleeve to get my attention.

I smiled as she pointed to Sasuke, half-hiding behind me, "He's..." I paused as I searched for an appropriate term, "...he goes to my school".

"Oh" Yoko nodded her head in understanding.

"What?!" Sasuke said complainingly, "I'm in your class!".

I laughed lightly, "Oh, and that too".

Sasuke pouted, "You slept over-".

"Okay! Kids!" I suddenly raised my voice, drowning out Sasuke's voice, "Who wants to play outside?" I suggested enthusiastically.