Chapter 27: A Little Adventure

I slowly made my way down the bunny hill, making sure to do everything perfectly but at the pace of about three kilometers per hour.

"Hurry up, Vira! It's not that scary!" I heard Liz shout.

"Shut up!" I yelled back but my eyes never left the track in front of me.

Once I reached the bottom of the hill to receive my authorization stamp, the instructor smiled at me, "First time skiing?" she asked.

I blushed, "Y-yeah".

She stamped my card, "Well, maybe you should stick with someone who can help you out while you're out on the slopes. You'll learn faster that way" she suggested good-naturedly.

I nodded, "Yeah...maybe..." I replied uncertainly.

"No problem. I'll be her skiing buddy" my shoulders visibly slumped when I heard the voice.

"You know what, I think I'm fine. I got all the basics down and it's not like I'm going to do anything fancy. No need for you to come with me" I said sweetly as I looked up at Sasuke.

"Yeah, and you were going about as fast as a snail" he scoffed.

I pouted, "Hmph, well, since I'm so slow, then you don't need to be my skiing buddy" I retorted, my arms crossed.

"Don't be such a loner" he chided, patting my head.

The instructor laughed, "Stay safe" she said before stamping Sasuke's card and waving us off.

I skied off, fuming at Sasuke.

"That's right, Vira...we've gotta stay safe" he breathed in my ear.

I flinched away from him, "Can you not act normal for at least five seconds?!" I cried at him, exasperated with his intimate behaviour.

He shrugged, "I'm gonna be your skiing buddy for the next few days so you'd better get used to it".

Gaara, Liz and Karin finally joined us, their cards all stamped.

"Let's hit the slopes!" Liz whooped excitedly.

Gaara and Liz were right in front of Karin and I getting onto the ski lift. I had purposely lined up with Karin so that Sasuke could be stuck behind us. I blew a raspberry at him just as Karin and I sat down on our lift. He just smirked as he waited to get on the next lift though he didn't seem so comfortable with a squealing girl sitting next to him. As we were lifted into the air by the thin cables above us, Karin and I looked back to see that the girl was as red as a tomato and was desperately trying to talk to Sasuke.

I threw back my head, laughing, "Highlight of the day" I said as I took out my cellphone, preparing to take a picture.

Sasuke saw this and posed. He put his arm around the girl's shoulders, making her turn even redder just as I snapped the photo.

I cursed, "He wasn't supposed to look happy in the picture! How am I supposed to torture him now?" I growled and turned back to the front with Karin.

She stayed silent and I glanced at her. She looked a little red in the face as if she were angry. I had no idea why though.

"Say cheese, Karin!" I chirped and held my phone up to snap a photo of her.

"Hey! I wasn't ready" she whined.

I giggled, "It's fine! You look good" I said soothingly, putting my arm around her.

As we rode up the mountain, I started to get nervous. Were easy hills supposed to be this high up? What if I can't get off the ski lift right? What if I hit someone? What if I hit a tree? Then came the most terrifying question of all. What if I can't get back up when I fall?!