Chapter 33: Diapers Only

At last, the dreaded day arrived. The first day back to school after the winter break. There was, thankfully, a small reprieve from the ski trip before we had to return to school. But no matter how many days we were allowed before returning to school, never would've prepared me for what I was about to find out. As Liz and I walked through the halls heading to homeroom, there was a lot of awed chatter.

"What do you think all this is?" Liz asked me as we cautiously headed for our first class.

I shrugged, "Beats me".

An uneasy feeling settled into my chest. Something wasn't right and whatever it was, it was rubbing me the wrong way. When we reached our classroom, there was a crowd of people amassed just outside the door. Between the fortress of students' bodies, I caught a glimpse of black hair and a flash of red. It was Sasuke and Gaara. Liz was not far behind me as I pushed my way through the crowd towards Sasuke and Gaara.

I reached them first, breathless, "What's going on? What's with the crowd?" I asked, grabbing Sasuke's arm.

He had a look of frustration on his face. But even if pigs had started to fly that day, I never would've expected to hear that voice again so soon.

"Hey! Long time no see, Elvira, Liz..." a smooth voice chirped.

I turned my head slowly towards the owner of the voice. Standing there as if their presence was absolutely normal, Hana and her two cronies, Hime and Hitsumi, and on top of that, wearing the Konoha High school uniform.

I turned the rest of my body to face them, trying hard to keep myself composed, "As I expected from someone like you. Skipping school just to come visit your little crush" I sneered.

For some reason, I had the urge to gag whenever I saw her face. She disgusted me that much.

Hana forced a laugh and took a few steps closer, her high heels clacking noisily on the linoleum floor, "Skipping school is actually the exact opposite of what I'm doing" she smirked, "I'm now officially attending Konoha High as well as Hime and Hitsumi".

I unconsciously clenched my fists, "Isn't that a just a tad bit similar to 'stalking'?" I questioned, matching her steps so that our faces were just inches away from each other, bringing us to an equal height.

She shrugged, "If you really think so, but according to the new heap of crisp bills under the school's name, I'm the best thing that ever happened to this place".

I sighed, "Of course! It's the only way someone with grades like yours will get in here".

Hana just smiled pleasantly as she backed away, "Oh, and another correction, I'm not visiting a little crush" she said, slinking past me and latching herself onto Sasuke's arm, "We've known each other since we were in diapers...only" she emphasized unnecessarily.

Surprisingly, my anger seemed to disappear after she said this. Or maybe it was just that I couldn't feel anything at all.

"As if you had much to show then, anyways" I tilted my head playfully as my insult hit her like a slap in the face.

She opened her mouth, about to say something else when the bell clamoured persistently through the P. A system, "I'll save it for later, honey" she said with a sickly sweet voice.

She reached up and pecked Sasuke on the cheek quickly before dashing away with Hime and Hitsumi on her heels. I blinked and turned to head into our classroom.

"Wait!" Sasuke called, the first sound I've heard from him in a while.

"Hm?" I answered, stopping myself at the edge of the doorway.