6. TEMPORARY family

• THALIA •

When I opened the black bag, I was not expecting to find clothes like this

Who the fuck are these people visiting?

Jimmy was more worked up than usual, meaning they're especially important.

I chuck the clothes onto my bed, I look at them and curse. Is Jimmy being serious right now? That absolute twat.

Laid out on my bed is a pink satin dress that stops just above my ankle. The neck of the dress is high, completely covering my neck. The sleeves are baggy, then tighter round the waste. Jimmy even left a fucking white bow. Is this dude for real?

I shake my head, pissed.

"They're here in fifteen minutes!" Jimmy shouts from downstairs, I don't bother to reply, he knows I'm listening.

I roll my eyes one last time before getting into the dress. I won't lie, the fabric feels nice against my skin but that doesn't make me feel any better. Pink is not my colour. I look stupid, out of place.

I turn back to my bed, seeing the bow sitting there.

Fuckkkk

I really don't want to wear it... but I cannot risk the punishment.

I groan, snatching the bow off of the bed and typing my hair in a half up half down hair style, my hair still straightened from when I went dress shopping with Nadine. I put the bow in my hair and turn around, I look in the mirror over my shoulder.

My shoulders have stiffened and I feel on edge. This isn't right, this isn't me.

I hear a car pulling up, but my rooms at the back of the house, not the front, so I can't see wether it's them or not, and I can't even prepare myself a little.

Someone knocks on the door.

Here we go.

"Thalia!" Jimmy screams from downstairs, just before opening the door.

I leave my room and reach the top of the stairs. Earning myself a clear view of the couple.

Hm, they look like they're in their mid-fifties. Well... the man does, I think the woman's a whole generation younger.

I take a breath before descending the stairs.

They spot me immediately, damn you, you stupid, squeaky floorboards.

I reach the bottom and smile at the couple.

Jimmy leads us into the lounge, I take a seat on one of the sofas and the couple sits on the other one. I hear the lady whisper, "she's pretty." To the man.

They won't be saying that in a weeks time.

"I'll leave you all to chat." Jimmy declares, but before he leaves the room, he sends me a look over his shoulder, saying don't screw this up.