53. Storm

• THALIA •

I open my eyes tiredly, tossing around in the comfy bed

Wow, it's hot in here. 

I turn on my side and snuggle into the duvet, but then something brushes against my leg.

I bolt upright and search my surroundings.

I'm not alone

I dramatically and slowly turn my head to the side. There's a man. And he's in the same bed as me. And he's really, really old.

I blink repeatedly and look to the ceiling.

Don't cry don't cry don't cry

The man mutters something still half-asleep.

I climb out of bed and realise I am completely naked.

No no no no no no no

I try look for my clothes but there's not enough time so I slide open his draws and just grab a shirt and some humongous trousers.

I walk out his door whilst putting the, 10 times too big, clothes on.

Cant belige I'm even wearing this mans clothes.

I sprint down the spiral staircase and pick up some sliders along the way, I bolt to the door that look like it'd be the front door.

Almost slamming into it, I open it, thank god it's unlocked, and I sprint out.

Oh my god oh my god oh my god

What do I do?

This is one of those times that I remember I'm just a kid, its easy to forget in this day and age, and I really really could do with some adult advice right now.

I press my hand to my forehead and breath heavily.

Calm down

I think that he -

I think. That. He -

I take a deep, much needed, breath and come to terms with reality.

That was the guy that slapped my ass.
That was the guy who's arms I collapsed in.
And that was the guy who's bed I woke in.

I think you can put the pieces together...

I fight back tears and decide to keep walking down the road. The cold air is the only thing keeping my eyes dry.

God, I don't know what to do.

I was kidnapped and taken to that place to work.

And I've escaped. Easily.

What a crappy system.

They really need to brush up on their security, but who am I to complain?

Without any warning, a huge grey cloud darkens the sky and torrential rain starts hammering down.

Of course it's raining

I run to the nearest shelter, which is a bar.

Opening the door and slamming it shut, I take in my surroundings.

Oh my god, it's early in the morning (I think) and people already have several empty glasses on their tables. People really drink at this time? Blimey. But hey, no judging here.

I walk over to the bar and take a seat on one of the stools. A guy from a few seats over gives me a proper stare. I angle my body away from him, he wouldn't do anything in front of this many people... right?

God, being a woman

"What can I get for ya'?" The barman asks with a tea towel slung around his shoulder.

I intertwine my hands together, "uhm, nothing. Thanks."

He sends me a weird look, "uh, Miss... You can't be here just for the sake of sitting down."

I sigh, "there's a storm. It won't be long."

"You don't know that, ma'am."

I supress the want to roll my eyes and keep them there. "Please? Okay, I just don't fancy a drink."

He lifts his shoulders, "not my problem. Out."

I throw my head back in annoyance, "but-"

"Nope. Out." He points to the foggy door. The rain is absolutely hammering it down. I don't have any money on me so I have no choice but to go and stick it out in the rain.

I slide off of the stool, feeling rather embarrassed. I make my way, slowly, to the door.

When I reach it I take a few seconds to appreciate the warmth. Here goes nothing.

I swing open the door and step out into the outdoors. I almost get blown back into the bar because the wind is just that strong.

I am shivering and my teeth are chattering. It's so cold. A shirt too big, trousers too big, and sliders too big (no socks), is not an ideal outfit to go out in a storm in. I'll tell ya that much.

Most of the shops are closed along this road because I think it's a bank holiday.

I spot a little sheltered bus stop so I sprint to there. I probably look stupid because I'm trying not to slip whilst trying to make sure these massive sliders don't fall off my bare feet. I wouldn't be surprised if I got frostbite after this.

I sit down on the red, plastic bench and hug myself.

Cold cold cold

I am absolutely and utterly drenched.

When I get a second to think, I realise...

It's my birthday today. Yay?

What a jolly good way to spend it, eh?

The big 17. To be honest, I feel like I'm past the point of childhood. I grew up as soon as I was brought into this world.

I swear I've been aging with a speed boost on.

I sigh at the situation. What is my life?

And then my mind floats to thoughts about the Fords.

I hope Nadine is doing okay. I wonder how she's finding married life. She might even have a baby on the way. I wouldn't be surprised, her and Bennu are infatuated with each other. Bennu, oh my god, we ended up getting a lot closer than I would've expected. I miss all the boys, and the girls.

Esmerelda sort of went MIA as soon as I left the Fords household. It still dawns on me that she's got footage of me stabbing her. Well, fake footage. But it looks bloody real.

God, what I would do to just dial Nadines number and ask her how she is. And I really need one of Rich's bear hugs right now. It's long over due.

I don't know how long it will be until I see them again. Months, years? Never?!

I hope not. I'm praying that Esmerelda gets into a 'tragic' accident.

And I'm also praying that the whole family isn't mad at me. But they have every right to be, I just left. After everything. The guilts eating me up.

When will the punishment end?