45. Tension

• THALIA •

"You look like you're about to throw up

"You look like you're about to throw up..." Nikolai states bluntly taking a bite out of a Granny Smith.

"Thankyou so much for your comment, Nikolai, it is much appreciated." I tell him with a bitter smile spread across my space.

He takes a seat on the end of the sofa and takes another bite out of his apple. It's silent for a few seconds, but then he swings his head to the left to look at me. "How you feeling, potential sister?"

I want to laugh and reply with a sarcastic comment, but honestly, I'm not in the mood.

I feel sick to my stomach right now. The fact that I could have a family won't leave my head. It's all I can think about currently.

I just shrug, I feel like if I open my mouth to talk I might be sick instead.

"Listen, I'm not about to give you some speech that's gonna make you feel all empowered. But I will say that if you are my sister, I'll be pretty happy. And if you aren't... it's not like I'll start ignoring you or anything. I'llstillloveyou." He mumbles the last part and I can barely hear what he said. But it doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

I smile at his words, "funny because you're making me feel awfully empowered right now." I tilt my head slightly and he tilts his too, as if to say 'very funny'.

Nik grab a pillow closest to him and chucks it at my head. I put my hands up to protect myself and scream.

When I stop shielding myself with my hands, instantly another pillow is chucked at me. "Dickhead," I mumble under my breath.

"Sorry what was that?" He asks, I know he heard exactly what I said. He's just being a test.

I smile sarcastically at him, "I said, you're a dickhead."

"I take back everything I said," he tells me in a deadly serious tone. But I've come to terms that when Nik is joking he sounds serious as fuck. I've learnt to differentiate the difference between serious joking and serious serious.

Silence filtrates the air. I feel like I need to accept the fact that there's gonna be a huge ass elephant in every room I walk in for the next couple days.

Nik's not looking directly at me but I can tell he's lost in a maze of his own thoughts. I decide against annoying him and I let him work his own way out of the maze.

"Hello, kiddos!" Rich says entering the room and clasping his hands together. When he catches sight of a silent Nick and a rather sick looking me, he also goes quiet. Awkward tension strains the air.

There is so many words being spoken between the three of us, without any words actually being spoken. It's unexplainable.

"So, how are we enjoying the yacht?" Rich asks attempting to decrease the amount of intensity that's being held captive in this large, but feels better small, room.

"Good, thanks."
"It's great, Dad."
Both me and Nikolai sat at the same time. Rich's efforts to lighten up the mood are much appreciated. However, it hasn't quite had the effect any of us would have hoped for.

Just then Matteo appears out of nowhere and leans on the back of one of the sofas. He crossed his arms and just stands their silently.

The room is as silent as I wish my thoughts were so I just sort of start thinking out loud. "I was thinking... if it turns out we have absolutely no relation to each other... I might... leave."

Their eyebrows furrow in confusion.

"It isn't fair to your family. Plus, I can't expect you to just pay for me to live. That's crazy. I appreciate what you've done for me, more than you'll ever know, and I don't think there's any right words that will make you understand the love and appreciation I feel towards all of you. But... it just isn't fair."

Nick doesn't look at me but I can see his head shaking.

Rich looks as if someone's just stabbed him a dozen times.

Matteo looks hurt but when he goes to say something he gets a text. He looks at the phone briefly and then looks up again, but then it looks as if he's actually processing what he's just seen. So his eyes focus back onto the screen and he mutters a few words before walking off in a daze.

————————————————————

Super short chapter, sorry!

...you're gonna hate me for what's to come