75. Ghosts

• THALIA •

"Darling, you look like you've seen a ghost

"Darling, you look like you've seen a ghost." My Dad says when I sit at the table for dinner.

That's because I have, Dad.

I laugh it off plainly. "Just tired from school."

He takes my answer but doesn't look as though is accepting of it.

Matteo saunters into the dining room with a golden crown sat on his wavy hair.

I laugh, "why, may I ask, do you have a crown, Matteo?"

He fawns shock, "is one not allowed to celebrate their birthday eve?"

I laugh lightly, "don't let me rain on your parade."

Nik quite literally sprints into the kitchen and tackles Matteo to the floor. "You did not drink my ducking orange juice again."

Matteo laughs, cheek pressed against the hardwood. "You're right, I did not."

"You fucker," Nik says, throwing the paper crown across the room.

"Hey! Not cool, bro." Matteo sulks.

I smile at the encounter. Matteo has been re-gaining his light more and more each day. He's more himself and it brings a feeling of relief. Thank god he's learning to forgive himself.

Dom walks into the kitchen, frowning at his phone. He walks straight into the two bodies sprawled against the floor and just glances down at them before stepping over.

"Hey-" I start but he just brushes straight past me.

I shuffle awkwardly in my seat. What was all that about?

The rest of the family filters through the door. Nadine parts from Bennu and takes a seat beside me. "Hey, girl."

"Hi," I say, breathlessly.

She judges me with her shoulder, "what's up? You're looking as white as a ghost."

I offer the same laugh I offered my Dad.

We're half way through the meal when another person comments on my state. Axel this time.

"You're not pregnant are you? You better not be, young lady." My Dad says sternly.

I shiver at the thought, "absolutely not." I can hardly take care of myself. "I am in no place to be taking care of a whole human being."

"As opposed to a half one," Dom mutters.

This is usual for Dom. His little side comments. But there's this intensity and annoyance behind what he's saying to me today. We aren't getting through this dinner without me knowing what's got him so pent up.

"What is your problem, Dominique?" Im fed up with his constant on and off.

He drops his fork, creating a loud noise to erupt into the air. This silences the whole table. "My problem? Ironic."

I groan, "can you just stop with your stupid comments with hidden meanings. Say what you mean, god sake."

Som rolls his eyes, "this is ridiculous." He stands up, his chair sliding back against the floor creating a painstaking screech.

He starts to walk off but an authorotive tone stops him in his tracks.

"Sit back down, son."

Normally we all listen to our Dad when he uses that tone. But this time is different. His back remains facing the table and he storms off.

Ah hell no.

I storm after him, up to his room.

I doing his dorm open and slam it behind me.

"What is it, Dom?"

He slouches onto his sofa, "fuck off, Thalia. You don't belong here."

Okay that one stung a little. I won't let him see that though.

"Just say it, Dom. The back and forth is so childish." I plant my hands on my hips and stare at him expectantly.

"Go away."

"Nope."

"Thalia, go." His eyes flick between me and the door.

"Don't think I will. In fact, I might as well get comfy if you're going to keep this up." I plant my ass on his bed.

"Fuck the hell off!" He yells, standing up and inching closer.

"Say what's got you in such a pissy mood!"

"If you won't leave, I will." He grabs his coat off of the hook on the back of the door, pulling the door open he flies through the door and slams it beside him.

I throw my head back on the pillow.

There's always an issue.

I climb off the queen-sized bed and sprint down the stairs.

"He's gone," Nikolai tells me.

I plant my gaze on the ceiling, "of course he is. Now I have to go look at him."

I walk towards the front door but a hand clings on to my forearm.

"No," Dad says. "You stay here, where I know you're safe."

I don't hesitate to listen to his words, I nod in acceptance. "Please find him."

"Don't worry, he'll be back in the morning." Bennu tells me, sincerity in his words.

"Morning?!" I ask in shock.

"Don't worry, he does this stupid dance all the time." Ben says. He doesn't seem worried and neither does anyone else, so why do I still feel sick in my stomach?

"Relax, sweetheart. He's okay and will continue to be okay." Normally anything my Dad says calms me and it has a little but not enough to mean I'm going to get sleep tonight. "Go to sleep and he'll be back in the morning, promise."

***

Dad was telling the truth.

I know this because, even though I've only just opened my eyes, I can hear Dom shouting the house down.

It's too early for this shit.

I climb out of bed and wrap myself in my dressing gown.

I try to prepare myself mentally as much as I can but I don't think there's any amount of preparation I can do to dilute Dom's wrath.

I make my way down the stairs to utter chaos.

Furniture is upturned and Dom does not look like the Dom I know. He's red in the face, his clothes drenched in - what I'm guessing is - liquor. His hair is a disheveled mess and his pupils black and big.

"Dom," I say in a whisper when I reach the bottom stair. What has he done?

"Oh, look. Here comes the princess," he slurs.

"Dom, please don't do this. This hurts." My voice is barely above a whisper. "I care about you."

"Like you cared when you were talking to our bitch of a mother?"

A/n
Was feeling bad about my absence so thought I owed u another chapter