CHAPTER 34

Isabella's POV

I wake up with a start to see Jayden stirring in his sleep and my hands over his chest. My eyes open wide and I take my arms off him and scramble out of bed with my heart pounding hard in my chest.

What the hell!

When did I put my hands on his body?  I ask no one in particular as my eyes glance around the room to see that the light wasn't off.

Why didn't he turn off the light before sleeping?

Slowly, I drag my silly self to the sofa with my two hands on my cheeks. I drop to the sectional sofa and my butt hits something. I shoot to my feet to grab whatever it is and my eyes fall on the book I am supposed to hide from Jayden.

A loud gasp escapes my mouth as fear begins to consume my whole existence. This book has been on this sofa all through yesterday and I am wondering if Jayden had seen it or not.

How can I forget something like this? If he sees the book, then he will get to know that I am invading his privacy by going to his personal office and going through his things.

He stirs again in bed and I become alert as I hide the book behind me and try to put on a normal expression. The moment he goes still again with his chest heaving up and down slowly, I rush over to my bag and drop the book there.

An unconscious sigh of relief is released from my mouth.

I shake my head at my stupid behavior, thinking of what excuse I would have given him if he had caught me with the book.

Maybe he will just send me home. He will ask me to leave without giving a care about this so-called marriage.

It is obvious there is more to that place. There is something about him hidden in there and despite the fear in me, I still want to go ahead to unravel the mystery before me.

I like puzzles. The sheet of paper that slipped from that novel and the contents are puzzling and I want to get to the root of this.

I sigh again and turn to walk back to the sofa when I see Jayden sitting up in bed and I scream and run back in fright.

"What's the matter?" He asks, almost getting out of bed.

I don't know if I was startled to have seen him suddenly in bed or if it is because I was scared that he must have seen me with the book while I was thinking he was fast asleep. 

"Oh, Goodness!" I breathe out a sigh of relief and bend down. "I'm sorry. I was startled."

"Oh!" He only murmurs, adding to my relief that he didn't see anything. 

Silence ensues and I expect him to go back to bed only to see him rise from the bed and walk to the bathroom.

Is it morning? Why is he heading to the bathroom?