CHAPTER 54

Isabella's POV

His body still goes against mine and I pull away instantly. 

A cold shiver runs down my spine instantly at the absence of the touch of his body on mine.

What did I just do? I know I am excited about the thought of going to Verona and having Jayden sponsor my trip but why did I jump on him that way?

Won't he get the wrong idea about me? Why is he even doing this?

I know he has been nice to me for a week now but I believe it's because of his ill-health and how I have been helping him recuperate but it shouldn't be more than that. 

If I don't take care for him, who will? I am his wife after all.

I clear my throat and tuck the strand of hair that falls on my face behind my ears. I gulp down and ask him. "Why are you doing this?"

"What?" Confusion skates his expression at the question.

"Why do you want to sponsor my trip to Italy?" I ask again and he smiles. A smile that sends my inside in disarray.

I have seen him smile a lot these past few days but this one feels different. It looks different.

I ignore the temptation to ask him why his smile looks different and ask instead. "The last time I checked, you weren't even interested in having me go on that trip and now you want me to go without asking? Is this a form of bribe?"

"What?" He chuckles and sits upright. "Don't be funny."

"I can't help it", I say and face him. "Are you doing this to stop me from leaving like I said I would the other day or is it because I have been caring…"

"Do you still harbor the thought of leaving?" He frowns deeply, replacing the smile on his handsome face.

"Well, no but…"

"No buts. I'm doing this because you deserve it. This is what you want and I should do whatever you want because you are my wife", he utters firmly, with a serious expression.

"Well, yes. That's true but we are only married on paper…"

He cuts me off by standing up abruptly. "I am not disputing that fact. I'm hungry, I should cook something", he begins to walk away and I rise to follow him.

"You know how to cook?" I ask him from behind as we walk on the wooden floor towards the kitchen.

"Yes, I do that whenever I come here", he answers while I rush forward to stop him from moving further into the kitchen.

I spread my arms to block him and he raises a brow.

"I will cook today", I say. "I'm really curious to know what your food will taste but I want to cook today. You can do the cooking tomorrow."