CHAPTER 63

Isabella's POV

I burst into the room without knocking to see Jayden pacing the room with a phone glued to his ears and his mouth moving.

I stand by the door for a while but when he hoists his head to look at me, I venture inside.

"Yes, I will give you a call later today", he says while I walk past him to drop my bag and find somewhere to sit till he is done and we can talk about the news.

How the hell can someone tell the press that we are not real couples? Who the hell would that be?

I'm still finding it very hard to believe because Jayden and I are really doing a great job at making things look real between us. No one would have thought we aren't real unless of course his mother who is still having doubts about me being a gold digger.

Perhaps, she is responsible. Maybe this is another tactic of hers to have me gone forever from her son's life.

"Do you have any idea who did this?" Jayden's voice jerks me out of my reverie and when I look up, he is wagging a newspaper in front of me.

Without bothering to take it from him, I swallow hard and answer. "Who else would it be?"

He gasps. "You know who?"

"Who else would it be if it wasn't your Mother?" I rephrase, surprised that he isn't even thinking of her as the first suspect. This is the same woman who was willing to offer me a lot of money to leave. 

It shows how desperate and capable she is to make sure I am gone.

"Mother?" He asks again as if to be sure. There is a deep frown etched on his expression. He shakes his head quickly. "It can't be Mother."

"What?!"

"Yes, it can't be my mom. I know I didn't tell you but Mother and I had a long discussion over our marriage and she has accepted you with both arms now. She even asked me to invite you to dinner but I told her you were going on a trip.."

"Your mother invited me to dinner?" He nods, standing with arms akimbo. "Without you?"

"It's a girl-girl dinner party so she wanted you to be there."

"So that means she isn't the one?" He nods. "How sure are you about this? If she isn't responsible, then who is?"

He looks confused too but still shakes his head. "I am very sure this isn't coming from Mother. She cares about our reputation so much. This is why we are married in the first place. She cared about what people think or say about us so I am very sure she didn't do this."

I still have a strong conviction that she is responsible. Inviting me to dinner might be a way to get my mind off her wrongdoings and I am not sure I can never be comfortable with her again after what she did to me at the hospital.

She ridiculed me. If Gabriel and Jayden's father weren't responsible and understanding, I would have been humiliated that way. And now you want us to become friends all of a sudden?

Bullshit!

"Did you discuss anything about us with Helena today at the party?" Jayden asks me again, dropping his arms lazily.

I don't understand the point he is driving at. With furrowed brows, I flop heavily to the bed.

"Did you take any strong drinks?" He asks again and I roll my eyes at him.

"I wasn't drunk that day, Jayden. Did I look drunk to you?"

"No, you weren't but I just want to be sure of where this is coming from. Once we know who is responsible, I can take care of it", he declares.