CHAPTER 49

Isabella's POV

I couldn't sleep a wink all night. I turned into a night watchman for Jayden because I was scared something would happen to him during the night.

I forgot to come with my phone so I had nothing to keep me busy. I kept having wild imaginations of a weird creature coming through the windows and stealing Jayden away from here so I held on to him till it was morning and I placed my head on his chest to know that he was still breathing.

Still alive.

My joy knows no bounds. 

First, because his Mother will blame me if anything happens, and secondly because I want him to survive whatever it is eating him up that he doesn't want to talk to me about.

Apparently, everyone else knows about the story of him and Helena. 

I kept thinking of the decision I needed to make throughout the night and I have gotten my answers.

I have a job to do. A job that no one sent me. A job I will not be paid for but I hope it will help heal Jayden.

Before I can rise to stretch my body, a knock comes on the door. Thinking it is the same doctor who came to check on Jayden last night after he had already fallen asleep, I say "Come in."

The door opens and Gabriel walks in without Sabrina.

I wish she is here to console me again. Those soothing words actually consoled me even though I cried more.

It made me realize I had a bad impression of her because of how she acted that night.

"Good morning", he smiles at me as he approaches. He stops halfway to examine me. "Don't tell me you didn't sleep."

"You don't look like someone who did too", I mutter softly, turning to stare at Jayden who stirs in his sleep.

Gabriel chuckles lightly. "I slept."

"You didn't."

"Well, that was because of Sabrina. She began to crave chicken stew when we got home last night and I had to make it for her because she began to cry out that the baby wanted it."

Despite my misgivings, I can't help but laugh.

These two are drama King and Queen and now that I know how good they are, I don't mind being friends with them. In fact, I want to be friends with Sabrina. A friend with benefits. I plan to get the answers to my puzzles through her. If she doesn't know, I will persuade her to ask Gabriel for me.

I know if I ask him, he won't tell me. His loyalty lies with Jayden and Jayden would never want him to inform me about anything that has to do with his past.

It will be inappropriate to ask his father too. If they wanted me to know, they would have informed me about it last night when I told them he became mad after I asked him about Helena.