CHAPTER 55

Jayden's POV

My breathing became ragged when her body touched mine and her arms encircled around my head firmly in an embrace.

Isabella and I have never been that close before except on our wedding day. 

Noticing my still body, she pulled away immediately and apologized. I have been thinking about it since I left her in the kitchen to cook but I don't know what to think of what happened between us.

I have never given any other woman my attention apart from Helena. 

"Let's go and eat outside", she suggests as she comes out of that kitchen with the food. I love potatoes and I made sure madam Cassandra got enough potatoes for me during the grocery shopping she did for me yesterday.

She is my maid and she usually comes to clean every week or whenever I need her to shop for me in preparation for my arrival.

I have never come here with anyone, not even Helena. I bought this house after Helena died and I felt like the mansion was suffocating the hell out of me. 

Everything about the mansion reminded me of her and I left the mansion down to this place. Buying this house was my escape from the reality of the misfortune that had befallen me.

I was planning to make potato pinwheels before but now that Isabella has cooked with potatoes, I will go for something else tomorrow.

The food looks delicious and I can't wait to have a taste of it.

"You have never eaten out whenever you visited, right?" She peers down at me in curiosity and I nod and get up from the chair I am sitting on.

"We can give it a try."

"Yes, I saw two cane chairs outside. Do you have a coffee table or a small stool around here?" She asks and I nod and point to the coffee table beside the tv.

She picks it up. "This meal will be nice with red wine, do you have any?"

I take the table from her and keep it on my left hand while I pick up the tray of food with the other hand. "There is one bottle of wine in the fridge. Check."

"The fridge?" She looks surprised. "How come I didn't see it?"

"Maybe you should check the second door. I will be waiting outside", I say to her and move out.

I am no longer excited about being here like I was when we were on our way here. The thought of coming with my fake wife who has turned into a friend over the days was overwhelming but now, considering what happened between us earlier, the excitement is gone.

I don't know why she isn't saying anything about it but I feel there is more to that hug. I could feel her heartbeat before she could pull away.

I stroll out and drop the table between the two large cane chairs and drop the tray of food on the table. Then, I flop onto the first chair, just in time for her to appear with the cutleries, two glass cups, and a bottle of wine.