CHAPTER 48

Jayden's POV

She smiled at me.

I saw Helena. Smiling down at me until I opened my eyes to see that Helena isn't here and I am in the hospital.

The door opens and Mother rushes in after slamming the door shut. Before she can get to my side, the door opens again and Father comes in, then Gabriel and Sabrina.

I am about to ask for Isabella when she comes right through the door with her head down and her hands trembling.

"Jayden", my Mother cries and lays her head on my stomach.

They all surround me, Gabriel smiling down at me while Father holds my hand. They must have been scared. I scared them.

I was scared too. I thought I was going to die.

But I am confused now. I don't know why Helena was smiling down at me that way.

Is it because she is proud of me for inflicting such pains on myself or is it because she has forgiven me?

If she had forgiven me, then why am I not feeling any relief? I still feel like the weight of the whole world has been placed on my shoulder. 

The only relief I feel is for being alive.

Isabella stands at a distance, watching me with a straight face and I wonder why she isn't coming close.

"Stop disturbing the poor boy. I think we should leave him now to rest", Father takes Mother's hand off me, coming around to the other side to get a hold of her.

I will be glad if they can leave. I just want to talk to Gabriel. He is the one I need right now. He is my confidant and the only one who understands me.

"Let's stay here", she insists, trying to get out of his hold.

"No, woman!" He snaps at her. "Let's go home. You are not his wife. His wife will stay with him and we will be back first thing in the morning. He needs to rest."

Mother falls silent and I see her shift her gaze to Isabella whose head is still lowered.

Is she crying? Did something happen between her and my mother?

"This bitch won't stay with my son", Mother grits her teeth in annoyance and I know something must have happened. I know I have to intervene.

"She will stay and you will go home. She is my wife, isn't she?" I find myself attacking her. She turns to me with hurt flashing across her expression.

I don't know if my anger is because of what she must have done to Isabella or because she is responsible for my marriage to Isabella. I married Isabella because of her and it makes me furious to know that she doesn't accept Isabella as my wife.