Chapter 8

Camillo

*Ring*

*Ring*

*Ring*

I connected my phone to the car Bluetooth and answered it without looking at who it was.

"Hello." I greated answering the phone.

"Dearest cousin."

"Sky? To what do I owe the pleasure." Sky was a busy woman. She always made time for family events and the occasional lunches but those were always planned. Every call we had was booked a week in advance in order to make sure not to clash meeting. Having an unexpected call from your Capo always meant trouble.

"I'm at your family house. Come quick, we need to talk." Before I could ask any more questions, she hung up.

I couldn't help the chill that went through my body as I made my way through the gates of my childhood home. I left this house the minute I turned 18 to run from my father. He was an abusive man that didn't care about anyone. My older sister was already married off which meant she didn't have to deal with our father anymore. When I turned 21, I came back for my other 3 siblings but father nearly killed me for trying to take them. I could only get Mathew out because he was already 18 and fought off our father to get to the car. My sisters could make it through so I began to plan how I could get them out. 

Walking into the house, I felt a sense of dread wash over me. Looking around I called out to my siblings and they all ran towards me. Saraphina and Yelena run through the office doors and tackled me. Sara was 16 while Yelena was 15. They both looked like they had been crying for hours. Their eyes were red and when I looked at Yelena, I noticed a small scar on her cheek. Clinching my jaw I looked up and spotted Sky leaning in the door way of the office.

"What happened?" I asked through clinched teeth.

"V, please take the girls to the kitchen for some cookies while I talk to Camillo." That's when I noticed Veronica, Dominic and Leonardo behind her.

V walked over to us and stretched out her hands for my sisters to take. Once they vanished through the kitchen doors, I turned towards Sky. The door shut behind me as soon as I entered engulfing us in a series of unanswered questions.

Sky

Uncle Phillip had five children. Three girls and two boys. The eldest was a 31 year old woman who was married off to the Underboss of Washington to make Phillip stronger. The second oldest just turned 29. We used to play together when we were children and I kept in touch as we grew older. Putting him in place of his father would make California  strong because unlike his father, he prefers being involved not just giving orders. It also helped that he hated his father with every fiber of his being. Camillo Romano was the next step to a greater time. I just hope I wasn't overestimating his capabilities.

"I killed your father." I bluntly stated as I watched him sit down on the sofa opposite mine.

He froze, blinked and then leaned back in his seat. Nodding, he looked at Dom and Leonardo who stood on either side of me.

"Do you know why I did it?" I asked raising an eye brow.

Camillo and I might be close but I needed to make sure he could handle the heat. I did not pass out favors or raise peoples' statutes unless I knew they were worthy. This city was one of the most important under my rule. I wasn't going to squander it just because I liked someone.

Camillo thought about it for a while and then responded. "Does it have something to do with the dealer you killed yesterday?" Smiling to myself, I nodded.

"Your father was dumb enough to steal from me so now he is dead leaving you with his city." A bulb seemed to light in his head when he remembered that he was supposed to inherit it all. "You will be the new Underboss but before I make it official I want to know if you can do it."

"What do I need to do?" He asked leaning forward.

"Find a new dealer for your city. Someone you can trust. Someone you know won't try to screw me over. After that, you will go on a mission with Dom."

After he nodded his head, I stood and headed for the door.

"Can my siblings stay with me?" Camillo asked before I left the room. Looking back at him I responded "They are your family to look after. The only difference is, if you become underboss, no one will try take them from you. And if they do, you have the power to make them regret it."