Chapter 6

Okay. So I lost Zoë in the crowd less the 5 minutes after we entered  the party. Exactly when I lost sight of her brown wavy hair I swear I felt like I was drowning in the music, yells and chatter. It was not the ecstatic kind (not like I DO know how that feels). I was literarily suffocating. Was this what you’d describe as a panic attack? I have no idea. I simply started breathing really fast and my heart started pumping blood around my body at an alarming speed.

I looked around at the living room where the party had extended to. I had probably judged the sound wrong because I thought the party was only being held in the backyard but in reality, it was everywhere but in the front. My sight shifted towards the stairs which led to the second floor that were pretty much empty. Seeing how it was the only place I could use to isolate myself and gather my guts, I rushed to it. As I sat down, two teenagers who I barely recognized tried to climb up the stairs in a drowsy manner. I guessed they were drunk judging by the smell that lingered on them and the golden colored liquid in the plastic cups they left with me to ‘take care of.’

From here I could see everyone dancing, sitting on couches, drinking, smoking; and I wondered how Chris Walters’ parents would find out about this. Would it be a phone call or would they see the mess made after the party is over? Or will they not know?  Many other questions filled my head as a distraction from the party and all the crazy stuff that was going on until someone snapped their fingers in front of my face.

“Earth to you!” Zoë screamed over the music. “I was looking for you to see how things were going and I see you sitting here. What the heck are you doing?”

“I don’t know what to do!” I screamed back at her relief washing over me. I couldn´t believe I was actually glad to see this girl. My anti-socialism here was backfiring and I swear my little ‘shell’ – as  Zoë has described it before- is pressing too hard against me.

Anyway, Zoë looked down at me with a strange look. I couldn’t help thinking that maybe she was thinking how hopeless I was being. I can’t help it! I have no experience whatsoever! I never wished to be in one of these house parties!

Yet, the blue-eyed girl smiled as her fair-skin appeared green from the disco lights coming from the garden. “See that guy over there? Outside?”

She pointed towards this elevated platform right next to the screen door. He had some big headphones on just like the ones I had at home but they seemed less professional. He was touching some kind of machine with millions of buttons and strange things I could just recognize as a music mixer. He was the DJ.

“Yeah?” I said asking her to continue.

“That’s the DJ.” She said, “Now go and ask him to put Gangnam Style. Even if he says it’s old already tell him to mix it anywhere he wants except for the chorus.”

I looked at her not really knowing what she was talking about. “What if he doesn’t want to put it?”

“Just tell him Zoë told you to. He’ll listen.” Zoë said smiling at me once more before pulling me off from the stairs and throwing me into the crowd of people.

I almost tripped as I tried to catch my balance on the rugged floor. Man, this thing was going to be really dirty by tomorrow morning… at least it wasn’t my house… I looked back at the stairs but Zoë wasn’t there anymore which left me with an empty feeling. How the hell was I going to go up to him and just tell him about this Gangnam Style thing?

I took a deep breath and sighed. I muttered under my breath as I headed to wiggled myself through the dancing people towards the garden. Second by second though I was becoming really aware of my surroundings. Not the music or the sounds I had been overwhelmed by at the beginning but the increasing stared of people around me, especially guys. I’d only look up from the floor to see where I was going and I’d find some guy staring at me as I passed him. It was becoming increased annoying not because I hated attention this time but because I was blushing from embarrassment.