Chapter 51

So... I guess it's hard to explain why it took so long. First, it was about the options in this story. Second, personal lack of inspirations. Third, well, life? Lol, sort of.

So bold is Zoë's point of view and there's time lapse in this one :D

Hope you guys enjoy it,

Kewk :3

+++

My eyes felt heavy. Pretty heavy.

The worst was the ache at the side of my body. All felt so heavy, bruised, cut, and broken. I was pleased by the comforting feeling the hospital bed brought to me. I guess if not I’d actually be suffering even more…

I remember Alex mentioning how she doesn’t like all the white in here. In contrast, I find the reflection of the lights to be a sign of life. I really hope that is the case today. I’ve been trying to fall asleep ever since Alex and my dad got here… but it’s so hard knowing that Jessica… Actually, the fact that I don’t know.

I opened my eyes, trying hard not to disturb my right side. I don’t remember much of this cut. I do remember how bad my arm felt when the SUV rolled over. Although I totally forgot about it later. I didn’t even realize I had broken it until I was in the ambulance trying to balance myself between making sure Jessica was still with me and having one of the paramedics treat my cheek wound.

Apparently, it wasn’t so nice. Needed more than five stitches.

And I don’t know why I’m acting so calm right now.

But it’s always like that, me being able to process slowly when these sorts of things happen. It’s a good ability to have to soften the blow I guess.

Problem is that last time I did not deal with it properly and straight away… Not until a year later.

I caught the sound of a trumpet as I pushed myself up on the bed. I had to give in, it was impossible to go to sleep right now. I was tired but not enough to forget what’s going on. Yet, I’m probably not the only one trying so hard.

The sound was not live, it was recorded, but I could hear it from here. The volume was too loud.

Alex was lying down on the couch on the other side of the hospital room. Three of her right fingers were on her middle knuckle on the left and as the music played, she was moving them – pretending she’s playing it. The music is loud which means she does not want to face reality or that she’s processing it. Either one, it doesn’t matter, it also means that she’s trying to be here.

She is.

Right then, she opened her eyes, and locked them with mine straight away. After a split second, she gave me a wry and shy smile.

I knew that it had scared her like hell. I had never seen her cry so hard. Not even when she told me about her grandparents or when she’d burst out in tears after playing a piece.

She took off her earphones, “You okay?”

I shook my head, “Can’t sleep.”

Alex cocked her head ever so lightly to the side and gave me a sympathetic smile, again. “She’s in the ER. No news yet.”

“That’s exactly why.” I said, more to myself, looking down at the sheets and feeling the weight of everything fall on me again. “Jess…”