Prologue

School.

High school.

Senior Year.

Partying.

YOLO.

Whatever.

...

Unless you're a nerd.

Like me.

Yep, I'm that kind of person that you see walking alone all the time... if you even see me at all. I'm that kind of person that ends up doing all the work when I'm paired up with someone because we don't get along at all. I'm that person, who eats alone in lunch.

I'm that person that has now given up on their social life and hopes that college will be much better.

At least, that's what I think every time I find someone leaning against my locker and I'm too 'shy' to ask for him to move.

Like right now.

One of the jocks, Chris Walters, with his muscular built, was talking to some of the wannabe snobs of the school, and all of them when pretty much right there in front of my locker where all my books and personal belongings were. Even worse. I had to leave school already my trumpet lessons were going to start in an hour, and it was a lie that I would get there early if I didn't leave in the next 10-20 minutes

I pushed my black framed glasses up the bridge of my nose, and took a deep breath. I tried to take a step closer, but my body didn't respond to my orders. So much for gathering up any courage I had.

I could tell too, that the wannabes were glaring at me. Eyeliner, mascara, crazy hairstyles that looked like a torture to both make and wear, and revealing as much skin as the school would let them... only if the teachers actually cared about the rules. Honestly, if these girls could apply their motivation for this into their school work, they would be geniuses. I thought it over. Not, they wouldn't be geniuses. They'd be smart enough to actually pass their subjects.

Anyway, seeing how they were looking at me I decided to simply turn around and leave the school. I would borrow a trumpet, even if it wasn't mine, from the IMT. Just so you were wondering, I am a trumpet player since I was... not long ago, maybe since I was 12. But I had always loved the sound of it, and once I started playing it myself I couldn't stop so I ended up going to afterschool sessions to a really good music school: Institution de Musiciens Talentueux. It means in English Institution of Talented Musicians. No idea why it is in French but that's how it is. The school has not yet opened itself to be an actual... academic school... not that I care anymore since this is my senior year, but it is certainly important for me to go to every single class as possible.

I walked down the corridor taking out my iPod and my earphones. I listened to different songs varying from modern to classical. Music always calmed me, and it was also my companion every day. Yep, I was getting comfortable in my own little world when I feel a hand grabbing my shoulder.

I actually jumped in surprise. No one, simply, no one ever touched me for any reason at this school. Not even the teachers.

As I spun around I took my earphones off, my eyes looking down at the floor.

"Hey, um." I heard. It was a girl's voice. Deep, yet female, womanly, confident. Those traits made me look up. "Know where the exit to this place is?"

First thought? Sound of her voice. Second thought? Run.

Yeah, that was my instinct. Run. Stupid? Yep. Why? She was a pretty girl who would catch too much attention if I walked out of the building with her by my side.

Nope, wouldn't want that.

So, like that I walked down quickly out the front yard of the school trying to avoid as many people as possible until I could get to the bus station. Luckily for me, I had no car neither would I have to use a bike so I would catch any attention whatsoever which was fine by me.

I have not always had this attitude towards social life, but ever since it wasn't productive for me I've stopped carrying and preferred not to even come into contact with any human being. Of course, other than my own family... sometimes.

I got out of the school campus in no time, still early.

Sigh... That was close.

"Thanks!"

Huh?

Next to me was the girl I had met inside.

I put my earphones on again, and didn't even meet her eyes. I couldn't dare too. That was a sign to create some kind of friendship, and I didn't want that. Not when this girl didn't even realize I was escaping from her.

Yet for some reason, I couldn't bring myself to walk off. It was just like back in school when I couldn't take a step and tell them to move away...

Just like that but now I couldn't take a step away from her.

I turned my head to the side and looked at the cement. Just when I thought I was gathering my courage to move, this girl turns around just like a freaking crab, crouches a little, turns her back almost horizontally and looks up at my eyes.

"WOAH!" I said jumping back.

The girl smirked at me... playfully?

Yeah, that was it.

I felt my earphones hanging loose from my ears, but for some reason I didn't feel the need to put them back on.

"Zoë." She extended her hand to me still smiling. "You?"

I tried to keep my mouth shut. I tried to keep my hand against my side.

So much trying lately and no success.

Yet I tried.

But couldn't keep myself away.

I glanced up at her and locked eyes. She had grayest eyes I'd ever seen. Just like a strong, yet pale blue that gradually got just faintly stronger in color the farther away you got from the pupil.

My hand grabbed hers, as if it was getting attracted to it.

"Alex."