Chapter 54

I parked the small Hyundai in my garage and as I went out I felt the dry heat that was already starting to decrease in temperature. I grabbed my things, except the folder, and headed outside as the garage door closed itself. No one was home yet but it wouldn't really make a difference – My brain automatically made me head towards the neighbors' place. It had already become like a second home... Of course, I'd always eat with my parents if they were around or we might go over to the Bach's... either way, it was now a norm to find me there.

Honestly, I don't know how our parents even allowed us to feel so comfortable in this sense. Yes, we live next to each other and, yes, my dad and her mom work together... and yeah, they are friendly with each other as well so...

I opened the front door, closed it and dropped my keys into the bowl that was set right next to the front door. It was the special designated place where everyone would leave their small things. Undeneath, unexpectedly, were only one pair of shoes. I guess Patrick was out because the ones that were there were Zoë's blue Allstars.

“Hey!” I called out, “I'm here!”

“Oh, hey!” I heard Zoë say from the room next door. She pulled back her head on the couch so that I could see her.

I walked into the room and went straight to Zoë, “How was therapy?”

“Good, I guess.” Zoë shrugged, “Keeps getting better and my dad keeps changing the exercise band.”

My eyes landed on her body and how, being underneath the air conditioner outlet, she was covered in a thin blanket up to her waist. A book on her thigh and a cup of tea on the small table in front of the couch... Chamomile, probably.

“Well, you're probably gonna be done with that soon, then.” I said as I got close to the couch and leaned down. Casually, I found her leaning up and meeting my lips.

“Yeah, probably.” She pulled away as I sat down. “What about you? Had fun at the IMT?”

I stopped as I was grabbing the cup and gave her a quizzical smile... “How do you know I was there?”

“Figured.” Zoë smiled, “You wouldn't hang out with Heather for so long.”

“True.”

“I know.”

“It was okay.” I said and took a sip of the warm tea. “A little tiring since I was trying to arrange something.”

As I took another sip, or a gulp, I glanced at Zoë who was regarding me calmly. In that way that I know she's processing something out. “What?”

Zoë looked down and then up, and then at some point between our bodies which showed that she had also just caught herself thinking. “Nothing.”

I frowned, “Tell me.”

“No.” Zoë said giving me a fresh laugh, “It's something that's cheesy. I should keep it to myself.”

My eyebrows lift up in surprise. I mean since... “Why? You're usually the type to say every cheesy thing in you head.” I laughed a little, “Why would it matter now?”

Really, why would it?

I put down the tea cup, now empty, and dragged my hand towards hers. I felt her fingers intertwine with mine and, not for the first time, I realized how normal this all felt. How it was like a puzzle I knew and could figure out in less than a second. All this physical contact thing that was so hard at first. Now it's what it always meant and also part of a usual comfort. Or like eating the cereal you always buy at breakfast. Or like drawing that drawing you invented on a piece of paper just because you can and because it's yours – even if you're not good at drawing...