Chapter 38

“Well,” Heather said, sighing when Simone stopped playing her harp. “That was refreshing.”

It had been Zoë's idea to do this...

Me, Simone, Heather, Craig, Matt, Jessica and Kai (the percussion lead guy) were sitting on chairs, in a circle, each with our instruments in hand. Well, Kai was sitting behind a set of drums so he was the only exception.

Basing ourselves in the musical aspect of our lives we brought ourselves together due to Zoë's petition. Before we were to start the following three weeks of practice we were to hold an hour of musical improvisation every two days. This would be for a week as Zoë choose the new pieces we'd play. Her excuse was that since she's the conductor, she knows what our potential is. Exactly why, this time, neither one of us in this room were there to help her.

The point of this? I'm not entirely sure.

It was hard though especially since most of us here have different styles of music and it's hard to really blend our intruments together without the whole orchestra with us. It's even harder to try to keep the timing when everyone just does their own things. That refers mainly to Kai, who isn't within our circle of friends, so it makes it much harder to predict what he's going to do.

It's true though. What Zoë said to me once... that you can tell a lot about a person in the way they play. It's specifically true if you hear them improvise.

It had been a mess though until this last time we tried. The person who started had been Simone, with a soft harp tune which gradually build up into a whole ensemble of sounds. Heather joined in with accompaining chords, then Matt who did the same but in lower octaves, then Jessica who added a few high play-ground sounding notes, Craig, then Kai with brush-looking drum sticks, and finally me with varying rifts. We dropped back in the same order and I guess you could say that Heather was right. It had actually been refreshing to do something so... random.

No. I have to admit it. It was amazing. Even with the mess... I mean, it was much easier to play in front of people if they didn't know what they were doing as well.

“Yeah, well,” Jessica said putting her violing away quickly. “I gotta go get the things ready for tonight. Are you all staying?”

I watched as Jessica went around, glancing at each of us.

Yet again, a party at her house.

Yep... This time, we were celebrating the start of Easter break. Or the end of the previous-to-last section of the senior's High-School life. After the vacations we'd have two weeks more of school and then head out to do the big exams. Basically we had a month to go since we've been given an extra week of vacations.

I nodded to her when she looked at me.

“Zoë's coming right?” Jessica asked me, putting a hand on my shoulder.

I looked up at her. Why would she doubt it? She's always here. “Yeah.”

Jessica smiled softly at me and I watched as her dark blue eyes unfocused from mine as her smile disappeared. “I hope she's doing fine.”

It took me a little too long to make my mouth form a question because Jessica was already out of the basement, ready to set up her house for tonight...

I've been meaning to ask Jessica... or... well... Sort of like... discuss what's been going on with Zoë. I've kept a watch on her ever since last time I went over to her place. After that moment in the bathroom, which had been quite a long time, she stood up and gone back down to bed. She hadn't let me see her face but she didn't ignore me either. Zoë had simply grabbed my hand and dragged me back in with her. After that, the next following days, she's been as normal as ever...