Chapter 39

When Jessica left and after that split second of realization that I had, I glanced at Zoë who was now sitting on the stool in front of me. I watched as she regarded the party in her own cool manner and realized, again, how easily she made herself look that way. The dark leather pants she wore and the red shirt which hung perfectly around her body showed off her figure. Her hair was down showing its long and wavy quality in a way that made me want to look at her eyes... And they stood out because of the mild eyeliner and mascara she'd put on...

“What?” Zoë asked me making me notice that I was staring for too long.

“Uhh...” I said blushing slightly at being caught... and I was glad for it because I couldn't stand thinking about what those two had just told me. “Why were you late?”

“Oh.” Zoë said rotating the seat on her chair towards my direction with boots that made her look even more like herself. I don't know why I think that... I mean, it... it still looks like nothing has happened. Or at least her body image doesn't show it for now. “Remember how my dad works at rehabilitating soldiers?”

“Yeah?” I said remembering how Patrick, her dad, had mentioned it at some point.

“Well,” Zoë said looking behind me. She stood up on the little foothold at the bottom of the stool and leaned forward to grab something behind me. “Wait.”

I turned back as she grabbed a glass from the tray with many alcohol bottles. As I watched I realized that I have never seen Zoë drink. At least not this type of drink even though she sort of seems like the type who does, on a first glance. Although I guess I wasn't going to see anything because she leaned back and turned on the tap on the other side of the bar countertop, filling her plastic glass with water.

When she sat back down and took a sip she smiled at me. She shook the cup and said, “If you drink don't drive remember? I'm not much of a drinker anyway.”

“Jessica is.” I mentioned.

“Heather too, but she controls herself much more.” Zoë chuckled, “Anyways, a friend of my dad's came over tonight and my parents wanted me to meet him.”

“Special friend?” I asked her. Her parents don't usually tell her to stay back. Normally she has the freedom to do whatever she wants as long as she's being responsible.

“Totally.” Zoë said, “They guys lost both legs in Afghanistan around 7 years ago. My dad was in charge of him and they ended up as friends. Now Carlson, that's his name, works for the same place as my dad. That's why it was easy for my dad to get a job here. Good references there.”

“And... in these many months you hadn't met him?” I asked wondering about it.

“He never had time.” Zoë explained.

I nodded at her marking the end of the conversation which left me with an empty space of thought. It's safe enough to say that the void was filled with thoughts of her sister. She sounded like a fine person. Involved in music, getting money, having nice parents and all... maybe a partner at some point... Honestly, if she's how Jessica and Heather described even I wouldn't understand why she would... do that.

“Hey.” Zoë said, bringing me back to reality. She grabbed my hand and squeezed it. “What are you thinking about?”

“Nothing...” I said turning my eyes back to her. “... in particular.”

Zoë cocked her head slowly to the side and blinked, “What were you and Jessica talking so seriously about?”

I glanced away for a second to try and get my thoughts straight before answering. Taking this opportunity, I decided to take a good look at the party. People smoking cigarettes far away in the garden, a few puking at the side of the house, others hanging out outside in the terrace like us and inside most people were dancing, making-out and all of those things teenagers do in parties.