Chapter 17

Just as quickly as our lips touched, Zoë grabbed my shoulders and pulled us apart by lightly pushing me. The expression on her face was a mixture of surprise and confusion, which probably mimicked mine to some degree. Mostly, my reaction was to freeze up in place as what just happened totally seemed out of the blue to me…

Wait. Is it just me or is my heart pounding like crazy right now?

“Oh my god…” Zoë whispered quickly.

I focused back from my thoughts to Zoë, at her intense pale blue eyes and saw that slowly, the expression she had was disappearing and forming itself into one of… maybe realization? It went from a frowns, to raised eyebrows and then to a quick exhale of air with a really small smile on her face.

“I can’t believe it…” She said in a tone of disbelief. Her hand went to her forehead and she looked down as if in total distraught. But then, she gazed back up at me, with frown and a somehow beautifully made wry smile. “So that’s what it was…”

I stared at the person who was in front of me, and I couldn’t help but feel as if time had gone still. Even if the sky was getting darker, I swear that I was stuck in place only receiving, and not processing, what was going on. It’s as if Zoë had just planted me on the ground with those words she said… Almost as I was expecting for her to say something else.

Although considering my usual lack of handling such moments of nervousness, after a moment of struggle to find my voice, I said, “W-what?”

Zoë’s smile vanished lightly, and even in the small amount of light I could see how she’d gone back to her composed self, or at least a little bit.  Calm and cool in her own way, but her confident eyes seemed timid at the same time, and as she started to speak I got to see a slight blush on either side of her cheeks. Probably from the cold though. With her fingers on her chin she said, “This is what it is I think… I mean I was feeling so… unsettled before… lately… but wow… but it crossed my mind a few times but I thought it was impossible…”

I felt my eyebrows rise in confusion but more at the fact that she seemed as if she was talking to herself, not to mention that at loud, instead of me. I mean, she’s looking at me! I felt like hiding under a rock but from sheer embarrassment… but at the same time I didn’t. Physically, I was paralyzed… but mentally, my mind was running so quickly that I had no idea what to even think at the moment.

Suddenly, Zoë shifted herself and stood up straight, unexpectedly going smiling mischievously which I knew was her normal smile. That meant her she’d resolved something so that’s why she was now composed for real. “It’s only been two months, about, Alex…”

“Y-yeah?” I stuttered feeling myself straightened up to her remark of that. Something I’d been thinking about lately. Which, to be honest, has been a clear dictator of my life these past few days.

“But…” Zoë said looking to the side and then back at me with the same wry smile she had given me just a few moments before. “I THINK… I like you.”

Okay. Yeah, so at this moment I couldn’t really decide whether I was glad or completely taken by surprise again by how straightforward Zoë can be. Did I just hear right? Did she just say that she thinks she likes me? She thinks she likes me… Zoë thinks she likes me… Zoë might like me?

….

The girl I might like might like me?

WOAAAH!!

Wait, wait… but would that mean that this COULD be mutual? The fact that there might be a yes or a no means that there is a possibility that it’s a yes. And if it were to be like that?

“Hey,” Zoë said redirecting me back to her again, “What’s going through your head?”

“The fact that I don’t understand how you can be so unaffected by… that.” I said after a few moments of not being able to say anything… and only point out what I was seeing. But, what I just said isn’t right. She WAS somehow affected right after the… kiss. But right now she looked so composed that I felt totally insane in comparison.

Surprisingly to me, Zoë laughed a joyful laugh out of sorts. It seemed so lively and so carefree that it made me smile myself.

“You think?” Zoë said raising her eye-brow. One, which by the way, I could barely see by now. “Here.”

I heard the unmistakable sound of a zipper being, well, zipped down, and I knew that Zoë had just opened her coat. I then felt her ungloved hand grab my wrist and direct it towards her direction. In less than a second I was already feeling the warmth of her sweater against her chest… and something else. Her breathing pattern was so fast, incomplete, and also, against my palm I felt an unmistakable pounding that made my skin there tingle lightly. It was so quick, and double beating that I knew it was her heart.

“See?” Zoë asked letting my hand rest there a few more seconds before she let go of me, and I brought my hand back to my side. “Nowhere near feeling calm, Alex.”

I don’t know why but I felt her grinning, and I don’t know why but I was looking to the side even though she couldn’t see me. She couldn’t see me blushing, blushing from an unknown warmth that I was feeling all over my chest. 

I still felt it even when she dragged me to her bike, and we went on it, and started going back home. It crept up to my face and, against her back, I could feel my cheeks rising with a smile that I was so happy to be doing right now.

"Hey, Zoë?" I said as I started walking towards my house from hers once we arrived.

"Yeah?" She asked over her shoulder as she put the helmets away.

"Happy Birthday."

+++

Ahhh this was so short... but I don't really care because this is what I was thinking:

Ahhhh! How do I write their reaction and not mess things up? 

SOOOO I'm completely satisfied right now :3

Kewk :3

PS. Let me know what you think is going to happen after this, or what you would like to happen after this. It's fun to read what people think :D