Chapter 50

I started eating the chips long ago. Slowly as to take my time with them... and to equally kill time. It's been almost an hour since I came here and who knows how long since Zoë and Jessica did. But neither of their parents have come and I'm loosing my composure by now.

“What if -” I started saying.

“Shut up, Alex.” Heather said cutting me off.

I sighed knowing that she had probably been waiting for me to say that... Or at least start to say it... because I've tried for so long not to imagine anything but it´s incredibly hard.

“How are you so calm.” I said frowning slightly but without any mean tone in my words.

Heather looked back down from the T.V in the waiting room and turned to me. She gave me that small smile of hers, “You overestimate me. Of course I'm worried but whatever has happened it's not going to change if I let myself imagine things.”

I blinked at her knowing that she was right. It was of no use to me to believe that something tragic has happened to those two... but, I mean, they've been in there for ages so something must had happened.

That's when I heard the electronic doors slide open, and like every time, I looked to the side hoping that it was someone´s parents... and... selfishly hoped more that it would be Zoë's.... In any case, I felt in a blink of an eye that the disappointment would repeat itself and that I would feel as desperate as ever... but this time I saw the tanned and large, muscular figure who has (usually) the same smile as her... and the same frown.

I stood up when I saw Patrick, Zoë´s dad.

He saw me and he motioned me with his hand to go to the reception.

I turned to Heather and she said, “Go. I'll wait for Jessica's parents.”

I walked quickly towards the desk where Patrick already was talking with the nurse. I glanced at his face and I could tell that he was worried sick. Despite his natural tan I could tell that the color of his face had drained. He was probably even more desperate to go in there and check on Zoë. Make sure she's alright.

Make sure she's alive.

“What's your daughter's name, sir?” The nurse in charge of the desk said.

“Zoë Bach.” He responded back. His fingers started to tap the counter-top... and I could not help that remind me of Zoë....

“Angela.” The nurse called. She looked behind her and motioned to a young female nurse. “Take them, please.”

“Yes, Mrs. Gray.” The second nurse said to her as the older gave her a black clipboard. She looked at it and nodded with no particular expression on her face... Then, she exited the desk and said, “Follow me please.”

And that´s when it hit me... That when I realized that I would know what happened to Zoë first... I know it´s obvious. But I mean, there´s no more anticipation anymore. Not not knowing... It would be different if I were to find out about Jessica first.... but this is the first blow. What if...

Oh God... What if she´s seriously hurt? What if they´re taking us to the emergency waiting room? Where there are only few benches and the EMERGECY letters shinning at the top of the wall. What if it's going to be me, her dad and soon her mom waiting for the best... and maybe end up with the worst?

What if I don't get to talk to her again? Hug her... kiss her... touch her face...

What if nothing of that sort if possible anymore...

Ugh... This is why Heather didn't want me thinking this way. I feel as if my world is already over... I know... I might be exaggerating but..

Suddenly, I felt a big hand lie on my shoulder. It was warm and gentle. I turned to Patrick and saw that it was him. He pressed me quickly against his body, squeezed my shoulder and let go. He didn't look at me once but I knew what he meant... In a sense, me and Zoë's family were starting to get quite close... so I understood what me meant... and I needed nothing else right now than that comfort he just gave me.