Chapter 26

I’m trying really hard not to think about how in 10 minutes Zoë would be picking me up to go to the IMT… I mean, thinking about Zoë wasn’t the real problem. Thinking about meeting her was.

It took all of my guts not to actually look out the window last night, and it took ages for me to settle down on my bed an fall asleep. Most of the time I spent it looking at the ceiling and smiling like an idiot, or hugging my extra pillow while still smiling like an idiot, or burrowing my face into my pillow while still smiling like an idiot.

But right now I was blushing hard from the embarrassment I felt I was going to feel when I see her. I mean, what am I supposed to even say? After hugging her, she telling me she’s… falling in love with me, and me kissing her back when she kissed me?

It doesn’t make sense! Whatever I tell her won’t be relevant to… anything.

Sigh…

I’m glad I didn’t have to go to school today…

I heard a knock but when I turned to my bedroom door I knew I’d turned to the wrong side of the room because she knocked again on the glass. Sharper sound… while if it’d been against the wood it would’ve been deeper.

I turned my head slowly to the window on my rolling chair with fists on my knees pressing hard on them. I found Zoë leaning her back against the frame of the window with crossed arms and looking out towards the direction of our gardens.

She glanced to me once and then again when she realized I was looking at her and smiled. She held her finger up, telling me to wait, and put her hand into her coat. She took out a little notebook, the brown one she’d lent me before to invite the musicians over to the Christmas party, and a pen.

Wait, was she going to write on it…? Why?

I frowned questioningly at her, and she only stuck her tongue out to me. She exhaled onto her hands to warm them up and started writing. I watch her scribble slowly, and then sign for me to come closer to the window.

I used my feet to drag myself over. What was Zoë doing? Honestly, she can be weird sometimes. We’re literally only 2-3 feet away from each other.

She turned the notebook and pressed it against the glass wanting me to read it.

No IMT today. MOCKs are coming up. They had asked me last week to have Tuesdays and Thursdays off in exchange of Saturdays. Of course, I agreed.

Oh …. Ugh. MOCKs. Those are practice exams which mimic the big ones we’re going to take in May. The difference is that we have them over a week and a half period, while for the real ones it’s 3 weeks… It’s a huge hassle and awfully stressing but I don’t REALLY need to study that hard. Only review… except for this math topic…

I nodded to Zoë. She wrote some more and pressed it against the window again.

Saturdays are going to be long btw…

So, cuz of that, Jessica has invited us over to her house. Me, you, Craig, Matt and Heather. Hang out and watch a movie or something. Want to go?

I re-read that last two sentences a few times before looking back up at Zoë… It’s hard to believe it, but it’s been a long time since I’ve been invited over to someone’s house … Although before it was only to play and not to ‘hangout’…

Zoë raised her eyebrows at me, with a strange look in her eyes. The expression on her face was normal to me, she was expecting an answer, but her eyes weren’t…

Oh. It’s true. Yesterday we’d kissed.

I looked down, letting the blush cool down for a few seconds.