Chapter 44

I walked down the red carpeted corridor on the third fall feeling out of place. This corridor was the same as the others, the real difference was that there were fewer rooms and the lightling was less intense. More like a pale yellow than a sharp white... The yellow lights waste more energy... but I guess this is the director's doing. This floor is basically his.

What does he want to talk to me about? Zoë didn´t say anything at the end but she certainly seemed knowledgeable. Judging on how she was the one to tell me he wanted to see me and the fact that she had just been up here means that she probably knows exactly what he's going to say. Adding to that, she's... been updating him on my 'progress' ever since she came here. Giving him reports and so on...

I don't exactly remember when I agreed on that, I never truly did, but I think Zoë took as permission the moment when I started taking her orders. Lately, though, it hasn't been like that. Nothing like the teacher-student relationship we had at the beginning. I mean, it's been around 2 months since we started dating and before that we had barely taken her job into consideration. It was all about the orchestra and about me playing... And I don't even know if she had given a report lately, I haven't seen her work on anything other than school work...

My feet stopped right in front of a black door labeled George F. Newton. Yeah, his middle name was Frederick, just like Frank. I guess he liked that name so much that he wanted to name his son after him... Or maybe it was in the family. I don't know, and I don't really care that much. The only thing I care about is how I'm supposed to face this man. He's physically just like Frank although he has long dark hair, a beard instead of a stubble and blue eyes. Maybe he´s bulkier too but... in any case, he demanded way more respect than Frank did. In the end, he´s the director.

I knocked on the door three times noticing how nervous I was getting. I had never talked to this man privately. It had always been really casual. He'd tell me something down at the lobby or find me in the parkinglot like the last time we exhanged words. Never, at his office. Not like haven't been here before, I've left my trumpet there several times... but not when he's around.

I watched as the door opened in front of me to reveal the gentle yet firm looking man. Before I knew it, he had me inside, giving me a cup of coffee and making me sit on a chair on one side of his desk while he sat directly across from me. I brought the coffee up to my lips to make something out of myself and the taste reminded me of my birthday... When Zoë got that cake for me and brought some coffee right from this place...

“So,” The director said setting his elbows on the desk, intertwining his finger and setting his hairy chin on them. His deep voice caught my attention instantaneously. There was something about the deep vibrations that always made me listen to him intently. “You'll be wondering why I've called you here, Alexandra.”

I frowned slightly knowing that he´s the only person who actually calls me by my full first name, not my nickname. In any case, it didn't matter. I had always figured he'd do that to add a proffesional tone. I nodded at him after a short pause but still watched him unwaveringly.

“Zoë, as you know, has been in charge of building back up your musical abilities.” He straightened up on his dark rolling office chair and crossed his legs as he leaned back. “She was giving in, every month, a report on your progress. Not only in the performing aspect but at how you're dealing with playing in an orchestra, socializing with musically talented individuals, your improvization skills and your capacity to put emotion into different kinds of musical syles. Am I right?”

I nodded to him again knowing exactly what he was referring to. Even though I wasn't aware that Zoë had to give monthly reports, I do know that we've been working on every area he's mentioned. Here at the IMT or at one of our places. Mostly mine, since I'm the one with the studio.