PART 1 - Chapter 1

Click.

There was a guy, and a girl getting closer to each other until they kissed finally and that’s how the movie ended.

Lame.

Seriously. Romantic movies almost always end up like that. The two characters reconcile and end up kissing and living happily forever after… Totally not real. At least from my point of view. Sometimes you wouldn’t even get drama because there was absolutely no guy in your life… which was fine by me. Less drama, more time for my own things.

I turned off the T.V. since there was no point in watching it. Even the news were incredibly biased most of the time. What’s up with saying only Israel’s point of view and not Gaza’s? Or the other way around? Really. If the world is going to be this hypocritical I’d rather better not even get in touch with it.

“Alex?” I heard my mom call out.

I angled my head backwards in direction of the stairs and said. “Yeah?”

“Go practice now since you don’t have any homework.”

“Okay.”

That’s how it was around here. The only thing that mattered was music. Not that I did mind, I loved playing the trumpet. I would do it as many times as I wanted to but when my mom imposes it on me it feels like it’s an obligation. I let it got though. It was true that if I had time right now, it was better for me to use it wisely.

I stood up from the couch wondering what song I should practice today. For me, it didn’t matter what type of song it was, there was always a way to play it with my trumpet alone or using some kind of backing track as well. Preferably a piano one which I would record myself.

Anyway. I walked down the corridor of the first floor and at the end there was a glass door. It’s dark, meaning you can’t see through it unless you’re at the other side. Yep, fancy huh? Had to convince my parents that I really needed a soundproof room some years ago. They refused at first but I made sure to play every day as loud as I could and as much as I could. Eventually my parents received complaint notes from the neighbors saying that even though they liked to listen to my music it was an exaggeration to be doing it at midnight.

I chuckled as I opened the door. Sometimes, manipulating your parents was easy if you knew how to show them the way that it would be of benefit to all.

Inside you wouldn’t believe how many different kinds of recording devices there were. Instruments hung on the walls, packed in cases and pretty much anything you could imagine. Trumpet WAS my favorite instrument but I still enjoy playing others. I went over to the glass table at the corner of the room and eyed the music sheet I had written. There wasn’t any that I really did want to play in particular and because of that I took my laptop and searched for songs.

There was a huge list to choose from but I guess that I ended up going with a song I’d never really bothered to play. ‘What a Wonderful World.’

Hmm…. Louis Armstrong. Not bad.

I heard many arrangements in YouTube before doing my own, but decided to write get the trumpet part in my head first. It didn’t take long. I had it after about…. 20 minutes. I wrote down the parts that were the hardest for me, and put both my trumpet and music sheet off to the side while I recorded the percussion and piano parts.

Exactly when I was about to finish the last piano bar my mom unexpectedly came into the room. It was a really weird sight to see her between so many instruments, but I guessed that the fact that she was here meant that she needed to talk to me. She never really does, so this was and exception.