Chapter 14: Keefe POV

A/N: HUGE Shoutout to KOTLCever for adding this story to their reading list! <3 It means a lot

I sat in the Healing Center trying to stabilise my breathing, my legs felt like they would collapse beneath me and I couldn't focus on Linh sitting near me trying to comfort me. I was being selfish. 

I wasn't the one was dying

But I couldn't bring myself to snap out of it. Breathe Keefe

Breathe

I could feel Linh's presence move to the other side of the room to where her brother Tam stood. He looked close to tears, something very unusual for him. Yes I didn't call him Bangs Boy. I just-

Had a lot on my mind. 

I couldn't protect Sophie, again. She was in  critical condition and I couldn't save her. 

I stood gently, stabilising my breathing.

I slipped into the healing center where Sophie was laying, restlessly rolling. I exhaled slowly. Her eyelids fluttered opened and looked my way. 

"Keefe" She croaked out. 

"Hey Soph" I said, without my usual charisma, I was done pretending. "You look okay"

"Yeah, I've been better. But I'm feeling okay."

"Don't lie" I said angry. 

"I'm not lying" She said, her grin faded. 

"Don't pretend! All you do is pretend you're fine when you're not! Why can't you just ask for help? Why can't you let me help you?" I yelled, feeling a pang of guilt, but it faded. 

"Why do YOU pretend? You tell me everything at home is fine, it isn't! You tell me that you're fine! Your not! Biana told me you were crying! WHY don't YOU stop pretending? Why can't you open up if it's that easy! I'm the moonlark, this is my job, to save the world or die trying! Why can't you just accept it! Why don't you just stop pretending that everything is fine when it isn't! I nearly died! That Keefe Sencen is not fine! I'm not blaming you, but you need to stop pretending like it's going to be easy to just open up to everyone! The human's have this saying where they say "I'm only human!" and that applies to me. I'm only one elf Keefe. I can't just open up that easily! You tell me that I can trust all our friends! But can I? If it's that easy to trust I would have done it a long time ago. But all my life Keefe, there have been people who try to get me to trust them, only to exploit me! So I don't trust easily!" She ended fuming.

"But why can't you trust me! I only want the best for you! I would die for you!" I said truthfully.

"That's the problem Keefe! You care for others too much and you trust too easily! Why can't you try to acknowledge I have a hard time trusting people!" She ended her voice cracking, close to crying.

"Wow Sophie, I make my emotions vulnerable to you and you want to get angy at me?" I said sarcastically. 

"This isn't you Keefe, I've never seen you like this. Who are you really Keefe? Behind all your masks? " She sounded suprised, and hurt. 

"This is the real me Sophie, I'm obviously not good enough for you am I?" I said with a dark humorless laugh. 

Sophie looked scared. "Keefe, this isn't you, I know you and this- person isn't you!" 

"Of course" I said ignoring her comment. "I'm not good enough for the moonlark am I? Just a broken little boy.... can't be friends with a powerful female like yourself huh?" I said humorlessly laughing. "You're not as brave as you look Sophie....your scared, like- me and you don't know anything! You'll never be the moonlark we need to save the lost cities." I said directly looking her in the eye. As soon as the words left my lips I wanted to return them. She looked broken. 

Tears slid down her perfectly curved blush-stained face. "I don't know why I ever made friends with a immature, selfish guy like you Keefe Sencen. You are horrible." Sophie said calmly, but furiously. "I wish I never met you Keefe Sencen, that's all that I know." 

My heart cracked in two. "The feeling is mutual Sophie Foster. Thats all I know." I said not meeting her stare. 

I could tell Elwin was standing at the door shocked and upset. 

"I hate you" Sophie said coldly "I hate everything about you, I can't believe I made friends with you."

I smirked coldly. "Same here, you are just a sad, broken little freak who will never be able to save anyone." I spat. 

Her stare went right through me, as if I as invisible. I ripped off my Black Swan pendant and chucked it at her with such force, but she didn't even flinch. 

I snorted humorlessly. "Good luck, Sophie Foster, you'll need it. With the freak show you've got as a team." I was angry, at her, at the Black Swan, at everyone.

"Look what you're doing to everyone." I continued my back faced to her. 

"Biana is dying, Tam is crying, Fitz is heartbroken, Linh is trying to comfort everyone, you drag Marella and Maruca into your little ploy and you play with everyones feelings. You rejected Dex didn't you? You haven't been as close? Have you?". Her emotions stilled. 

"Thats what I thought." I said coldly, cruelly. 

"Fine Keefe, Fine....!" Sophie said breathlessly, angrily. "Some of them offered."

The air went cold between us. 

"No, no no Sophie. No one "offered" to risk their lives, they did it because we are all forced to risk our lives, family lives, posessions, reputations all for the sake of you! A little girl! Who has no idea what the real world is like! Your life is perfect and you'll never know what the world truely looks like."

And with that I stalked out the door not looking back, 

Leaving behind the Black Swan

Leaving behind an old Keefe.

Leaving behind my old life.

Leaving behind a shattered, devastated Sophie. 

A/N: Bet you weren't expecting that, OKAY BEFORE ANY OF YOU KILL ME, it's gonna get better.