Chapter 26 : Dex POV

A/N : OKAY OKAY FIRSTLY 

OK I WAS JUST SINGING SOME SONGS AND CHILLIN, CAUSE MY SCHOOL IS DONE. I GET OUT EARLY. 

AND THEN I CHECK MY RANKINGS AND THIS IS THERE.

WHAT?! OMG. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Anyway onto the chapter!

-soph

xoxo

 (Also the POV title may be freaking some people out, just keep reading. I promise it's worth it!)

IM ACTUALLY EXCITED TO WRITE THIS SINCE THE LAST FEW CHAPTERS HAVE BEEN A BIT DEPRESSO

TW: Mention of sight of blood.

Dex POV

As Jolie's green emerald eyes glowed under the fading light, her blood soaked knife slashed for my throat, a clean sweep, that's all she needed. The knife was covered in thick red blood. Yuck. 

My eyes widened as the knife came closer to my throat, Jolie was bordering on psychopathic. Well if she completed her cut. 

Her eyes shone with some emotion I bet even the best of empaths couldn't describe, something sad, something sad, yet triumphant, yet mourning, yet accomplished. Time had slowed, her knife edging way too fast for my likings.

I preferred my head attached to my head. 

My thoughts were racing as her unliving smile reached her eyes. As if, dead. Something inhumane, not real. She wasn't normal, at least not anymore. Her hair flew back, her black ringlets bouncing, her eyes darkened. Her knife was a few centimetres from my neck, I didn't dare move. 

I clenched my eyes shut, not wanting to face this reality. And I felt at calm, despite my situation, despite what was going to happen, despite everything, the scorn, discrimination, the terrible way my family had been treated, despite the way I had felt excluded, despite everything. I felt at peace for the first time in the war.

This terrible war, I was just an extra player, benched. 

And my thoughts, the rough storm that it was, it calmed ever so slightly. The water was still as I could feel the slight touch of metal on my skin. I could feel my tears of anticipation stain my cheeks, the desperation of my remaining thoughts. 

So I thought of happier things. 

Happier times. I may die but I was finally at peace with my world.

Sophie was fine. 

My family, although scarred by scorn, thriving by their own means.

My friends, maybe even finally prepared to fight this terrible war. 

Peace. 

I smiled through my desperate tears, my eyes still closed. 

Maybe one day.